|Page (1) of 1 - 11/30/04||email article||print page|
FirmTek Ships External Serial ATA AdapterAdvanced RAID compatible hot-swap capabilities for Mac and Windows (November 30, 2004)
FirmTek, LLC, the world's leading developer of ATA host adapter solutions for Apple's Macintosh, has announced the shipment of their new external SeriTek/1SE2 Serial ATA PCI host adapter, with the bonus addition of Windows support on the same card. The SeriTek/1SE2 extends Serial ATA's 1.5Gbits/sec performance to the outside of the computer chassis, enabling users to take advantage of external Serial ATA drives and enclosures. With two external ports, it provides the bandwidth necessary to meet the needs of performance-hungry applications like high-definition digital video creation & editing and other high quality digital creations. For maximum flexibility in any environment the SeriTek/1SE2 is also designed to support the hot-swapping of drives, similar to that of Universal Serial Bus (USB) and FireWire.
"For the past several years, FirmTek has provided the engineering behind the world's best selling ATA host adapters for the Macintosh," said Chi Kim Stanford, Vice President of Business Development for FirmTek. "We have applied this experience and expertise to develop this unique hot-swap storage solution, available only from FirmTek. External Serial ATA is a powerful new capability, as it offers virtually unlimited storage capacity at a new level of personal computing performance. We are very proud to be able to offer this breakthrough technology to Macintosh users today, and we are very happy to announce that we also offer Windows support."
The SeriTek/1SE2 offers three key benefits: capacity, speed and flexibility. With the ability to support two external drives that are hot-swappable, a user is limited only by the number of drives they have on hand during a project. With drives now surpassing 400GB, there are few applications with requirements too extreme to be supported. When formatted and controlled by Mac OS X's RAID software or equivalent Windows Disk Management utility, the SeriTek/1SE2 will push the highest performance drives at speeds that support the storage of high-definition streaming video, which was difficult for most desktop systems before the arrival of Serial ATA. The hot-swap feature also provides for exceptional flexibility, as numerous users or applications can be supported without restarting the computer; when one task is completed, all of its files and applications can be disconnected, and a drive with the next project's software can be attached immediately.
SeriTek/1SE2 Key Features and Benefits:
* Two external ports with patent-pending hot-swap RAID synchronization capabilities
* Hot-swaps both stand-alone drives and drives within a RAID volume
* Boosts overall system performance with data transfer rates of up to 150MBytes/sec or 1.5Gbits/sec per port
* Compatible with all PCI-based Power PC Macintosh and Windows PCs
* Self-contained booting functionality with "Plug and Play" drivers built-in for Macintosh
* Supports Mac OS 8, OS 9, and OS X version 10.1.5 or later
* Drivers included for Windows 98/98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003
* Provides performance and protection: Supports native OS X RAID 0/1; OS 9 RAID (with third party software) and adapter-based RAID 0/1 for Windows
* User-upgradeable firmware for updates and platform support
* Large LBA support for drives larger than 137GB
* Includes a "works with Macintosh" one-meter, fully shielded, thin and flexible SATA cable with 7-pin connector to allow easy, optimal placement of devices.
* Utilization of external storage minimizes system heat generation and power consumption
* Ideal for multimedia-intensive applications: audio/video capture and editing, graphics manipulation and high-end digital publishing
* Delivers top performance for all Power Macintosh and Windows computers, especially for Macintosh G5 users who are limited to two internal drive bays
Pricing and Availability
FirmTek's SeriTek/1SE2 Serial ATA host adapter for the Macintosh is available now for the estimated retail price of USD$99.95 (SATA-1SE2). For more information or to find out how to purchase FirmTek products, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit FirmTek's website at www.firmtek.com.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley and founded in 1998 by former Apple engineers, FirmTek is the leading hardware and firmware research and development company focusing on Macintosh ATA storage technologies. The company takes pride in developing the most reliable and compatible high performance enhancement solutions, offered through FirmTek's OEM partners and worldwide distribution channels.
Related Keywords:FirmTek, Serial ATA, RAID, SeriTek/1SE2, host adapter, Chi Kim Stanford, Windows Disk Management, LBA,