|Page (1) of 1 - 10/29/03||email article||print page|
FirewireDirect Boosts RAID Performance with FireWire 800Vanguard systems available in dual FireWire 800/USB 2.0 configuration
The Vanguard III is an external RAID with support for RAID-1 and RAID-0 on all platforms with USB and/or FireWire capabilities, including Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Windows, Solaris and others. It uses an Oxford 922 bridge with a dedicated hardware controller to take the load off the CPU and offers sustained data transfer rates of 60 MB per second. Other features include:
- Two FireWire 800 connectors and one USB 2.0 connector;
- Backward compatibility with older connection types (separate cable required for connecting to FireWire 400 systems);
- Automatic rebuilding in the event of drive failure in a RAID-1 configuration;
- Plug and play and hot-swappable.
The Vanguard III is a two-drive system available in capacities up to 500 GB (in RAID-0 mode). All of the systems use 7,200 RPM mechanisms. They measure 6.9" W x 10.6" D x 5.6" H and weigh in at 9 pounds with drives installed.
The following configurations are available:
- 500 GB (two 250 GB drives): $1,259.95;
- 400 GB (two 200 GB drives): $939;
- 240 GB (two 120 GB drives): $749.95;
- 160 GB (two 80 GB drives): $689;
- Enclosure only: $469.
Individual hot-swappable drives are also available as replacements of for extra backups. The Vanguard III systems are available now for purchase and will ship next week. For more information, visit http://www.firewiredirect.com.
Contact the author: Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Apple DVD Studio Pro, Mac OS, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at [email protected].
Related Keywords:FirewireDirect Boosts RAID Performance with FireWire 800