|Page (1) of 1 - 12/12/11||email article||print page|
FaceBook COO Sheryl Sandberg Speaks about the Need for more Women in Higher Level Senior Positions - videoOne of Fortune's 50 Most Powerful Women in Business Offers Advice to Women on How to Advance their Careers (December 12, 2011)
Video - Sheryl Sandberg, chief operating officer of FaceBook, recently discussed the need for more women in technology, and at higher levels in general, at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing 2011, the worlds largest gathering of women in computing.
Sandberg offered five suggestions for women interested in advancing their careers, saying they should:
1. believe in themselves, see their successes clearly and not underestimate their achievements - no one ever achieved what they did not set out to do
2. dream big, be ambitious - success is positively correlated with men, while the opposite is true with women; but with more women in power, this will change
3. choose a supportive partner - this is the single most important decision a woman can make for her career, because women typically assume the additional responsibilities of raising a family
4. avoid making career decisions too early - trying to plan life too carefully can close doors rather than keep them open
5. start talking - it's important to acknowledge the challenges women face and communicate them openly, or change will never happen
To see the full video, visit http://bit.ly/vmxW2O.
The Grace Hopper Celebration is produced by the Anita Borg Institute, which provides resources and programs to help industry, academia, and government recruit, retain, and develop women leaders in high-tech fields, resulting in higher levels of technological innovation. Its programs serve high-tech women by creating a community and providing tools to help them develop their careers. The institute is a not-for-profit 501(c) 3 charitable organization. Partners include: Google, HP, Microsoft, CA Technologies, Cisco, Facebook, First Republic Bank, IBM, Intel, Intuit, Lockheed Martin, Marvell, National Science Foundation, National Security Agency, NetApp, SAP, Symantec, Thomson Reuters, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Amazon, Broadcom, Motorola Foundation, Raytheon, Salesforce, and Yahoo! For more information, visit www.anitaborg.org.
Tweet this: FaceBook COO Sheryl Sandberg speaks about the need for more women in higher level senior positions - http://bit.ly/vmxW2O
Follow on Twitter at http://twitter.com/anitaborg_org.
For parties interested in anita borg institute, FaceBook, Sheryl Sandberg, technical women, women in technology, recruiting women, retaining women, advancing women, women's issues, women's professional development
Related Keywords:anita borg institute, FaceBook, Sheryl Sandberg, technical women, women in technology, recruiting women, retaining women, advancing women, women's issues, women's professional development
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved