|Page (1) of 1 - 05/16/11||email article||print page|
European Travel Expert Rick Steves Offers Tips for Exploring Rome(May 16, 2011)
Berkeley, CA (PRWEB) May 16, 2011
With spring in full-swing, many travelers are gearing up for their European adventures. Bestselling guidebook author and TV personality, Rick Steves, is ready to jump-start their Roman holiday by offering a helpful list of eight must-see Rome sights. These attractionsand many othersare featured in the newly-released travel guidebook, Rick Steves Pocket Rome, published by Avalon Travel.
Steves, who has spent 100 days every year since 1973 exploring Europe, provides invaluable recommendations on the best the Eternal City has to offer, including museums, ancient Roman ruins, churches, characteristic neighborhoods, and more. Sights at the top of his list include:
- Colosseum: Life-and-death gladiator arena that always gets a unanimous two thumbs up.
- Roman Forum: Ancient Rome's "downtown," with remains of the places Romans came to work, shop, worship, and play.
- Pantheon: Rome's best-preserved ancient temple, topped by a soaring dome.
- Vatican Museum: Four miles of the finest art of Western civilization, culminating in Michelangelos glorious Sistine Chapel.
- St. Peters Basilica: Most impressive church on earth, with Michelangelos Pietà and dome.
- Borghese Gallery: Bernini sculptures and Renaissance paintings in a Baroque palazzo set in expansive gardensit all adds up to Europe's most enjoyable aesthetic experience.
- A "Night Walk" Across Rome: Gelato-licking locals, bubbling fountains, and narrow lanes punctuate this stroll from Campo de' Fiori to the Spanish Steps.
- Trastevere: Across the Tiber from the tourist bustle, this is Rome's most colorful neighborhood.
Rome is a showcase of Western civilization, with astonishingly ancient sights and modern vibrancy, Steves said.
According to Steves, travelers heading to Rome this spring will find the monuments, churches, cats, laundry, cafés, fountains, traffic, and 2.6 million people endlessly entertaining.
For additional information on the Rick Steves Pocket Rome travel guide, or the other books in the Rick Steves Pocket Guides series, visit the Avalon Travel website. Travelers can also follow Steves on Facebook and Twitter.
About Avalon Travel
Avalon Travel is the largest independent travel publisher based in the United States. Major series include Rick Steves, the top-selling European guidebook series in the U.S., and Moon, with guides to more than 200 destinations around the world. In addition to guidebooks, Avalon markets and sells Rick Steves phrase books, maps, DVDs, eBooks, and iPhone applications. Avalon also publishes the best-selling Road Trip USA road guide. Based in Berkeley, CA, Avalon is a member of the Perseus Books Group. For more information, visit http://www.avalontravelbooks.com.
# # #
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8430236.htm.
Related Keywords:plastic art, entertainment award, entertainment (general), arts (general), arts, culture and entertainment, tourism and leisure, lifestyle and leisure, tourism, travel and commuting, lifestyle (house and home), economy, business and finance, financial and business service, business enterprises, business (general), travel and commuting, lifestyle and leisure, lifestyle (house and home), fishing industry, cinema industry, radio industry, television industry, music industry, process industry, tourism and leisure, lifestyle and leisure,