|Page (1) of 1 - 06/06/11||email article||print page|
European Travel Expert Rick Steves Offers Tips for Exploring London(June 06, 2011)
Berkeley, CA (PRWEB) June 06, 2011
In anticipation of primetime travel opportunities this summer, travelers are gearing up for European adventures. Bestselling guidebook author and TV personality, Rick Steves, is ready to jump-start their London holiday by offering a helpful list of nine must-see London sights. These attractionsand many othersare featured in the newly-released travel guidebook, Rick Steves Pocket London, published by Avalon Travel.
Steves, who has spent 100 days every year since 1973 exploring Europe, provides invaluable recommendations on the best this lively city has to offer, including museums, galleries, churches, vibrant neighborhoods, and more. Sights at the top of his list include:
- Westminster Abbey: Britains finest church and the site of royal coronations, burials, and weddings since 1066.
- Churchill War Rooms: Underground WWII headquarters of Churchills war effort.
- National Gallery: A greatest-hits of European art (1205-1900), starring Leonardo, Botticelli, Velázquez, Rembrandt, Turner, Van Gogh, and the Impressionists.
- British Museum: The worlds greatest collection of artifacts of Western civilization, including the Rosetta Stone and the Parthenons Elgin Marbles.
- St. Pauls Cathedral: The main cathedral of the Anglican Church, designed by Christopher Wren, with a climbable dome and daily evensong services.
- Tower of London: Historic castle, palace, prison, and execution site housing the crown jewels and a witty band of Beefeaters.
- British Library: The most important literary treasures of the Western worldfrom the Magna Carta to Shakespeare, from Bibles to Beatlesdisplayed in a single room.
- Westminster Walk: From the Thames to #10 Downing Street to Trafalgar Square, this is London's historic civic center.
- West End Walk: Home to glitzy theaters, Soho pubs, ethnic eateries, and throngs of people out on the town.
London is a city that seems perpetually at your service, with an impressive slate of sights, entertainment, and eateries, all linked by a great transit system, Steves said.
According to Steves, travelers heading to London this spring can wander the lively West End, tip a pint in a homey pub, hear the chimes of Big Ben, blow through the city on a double-decker bus, ogle the crown jewels at the Tower of London, go for a spin on the London Eye, and more.
For additional information on the Rick Steves Pocket London travel guide, or the other books in the Rick Steves Pocket Guides series, visit the Avalon Travel website. Travelers can also follow Steves on Facebook and Twitter.
About Avalon Travel
Avalon Travel is the largest independent travel publisher based in the United States. Major series include Rick Steves, the top-selling European guidebook series in the U.S., and Moon, with guides to more than 200 destinations around the world. In addition to guidebooks, Avalon markets and sells Rick Steves phrase books, maps, DVDs, eBooks, and iPhone applications. Avalon also publishes the best-selling Road Trip USA road guide. Based in Berkeley, CA, Avalon is a member of the Perseus Books Group. For more information, visit http://www.avalontravelbooks.com.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/RickSteves/LondonGuide/prweb8453995.htm.
Related Keywords:fishing industry, cinema industry, radio industry, television industry, music industry, process industry, tourism and leisure, lifestyle and leisure, , lifestyle and leisure, lifestyle (house and home), plastic art, entertainment award, entertainment (general), arts (general), arts, culture and entertainment, tourism and leisure, lifestyle and leisure, tourism, travel and commuting, lifestyle (house and home), economy, business and finance, financial and business service, business enterprises, business (general), travel and commuting