|Page (1) of 1 - 09/26/02||email article||print page|
Electric Image Ships Universe 5Latest release gets radiosity, new modeling tools
Universe 5 adds a number of new features over the previous release. These include:
- First Visible Frame option added to all textures
- Info tab added to display children of Master Materials
- Material Info window can be resized
- Subfolders supported in EI Shader folder
- Subfolders supported in EI Material folder
- Drag and drop support to copy textures between tabs
- Drag and drop support to copy shaders between tabs
Shader Variance editor
- Create saved versions of shader settings
- Scrollable list of live shaders
- Merge versions with other users
- Drag variances directly to Material Info window
- Editor has multiple display modes
- Pan, tilt, and roll tracking for locked-down cameras
- Target Editor can track multiple targets
- Target Editor has controls to deal with targets that leave the camera view.
- Targets can be displayed in Camera View window
- Filtering for target tracker
- Filtering for matching engine
- Direct match move motion and target import for RealViz.rz3 files
- Direct match move motion and target import for Boujou.ban files
- Track single color channel
- These are quick shortcuts to events in your project.
- Unlimited markers
- Shortcuts to jump from marker to marker
- Marker names pop-up like tool tips
- Time Marker Editor for managing the markers
- Can be used to copy keyframes for pose control
View Camera Controls
- Separate control for Rise/Fall
- Separate control for Shift left and right
- Animateable camera view scrolling
- Single-point perspective rendering
- Two-point perspective rendering
- .w3d export
- Compression controls
- Ouput object class controls
- Texture Size controls
- Name styles options to aid when using Director
- Log file written as a record of objects and names used
- Camera select control no longer hidden in title bar
- Render directly to six-frame environment map format
- OpenGL shade texture option for more realistic scene previews
- Add Effector/Null can now automatically create nulls with the extents of a group
- Aspect ratio and resolution controls on a per-camera basis. This allows camera maps to have unique aspect ratios
- Rubberband selection of channels in the F-Curve editor
- Option to automatically add channels into an F-Curve editor folder
- Three new view window orientations to enhance strength
- Stills can be rendered from any orothogal View window for non-perspective rendering
- View windows can be set to exact screen resolutions
- Glow layer control moved from Render Info to World Info window to enable animation of glow parameters.
- Go To Rest Position command added to Character menu. Sets the bones chain controlled by an IK Handle back to its rest posItion.
- Ten additional color labels added to Project window
- Time thumb is now left in place when keyframes are dragged
- Time thumb has contextual menu to control Time Markers
- Selection Set editor can now be resized
- Render Control window, Aspect Ratio pull down displays added info
- Render Control window, resolution pull down displays added info
- Animated Visibility check box added to Group Info and Light Info windows
- This allows you to animate object visibility without going deep into Project window channels.
- Auto Edit Y Z check box added to all Info windows. Locks Y and Z scale to value set in X scale. Convenient way of disabling non-uniform scaling.
- Display elements control added to each View window. Can now suppress display of elements on an object class basis.
- Plugins subfolders can be created in EI Sockets folders. Animator will search subfolders when opening projects.
- Plugin menu displays subfolders as hierarchical menu choices
- Slaves display the current IP address
- Port numbers can be set for each slave
- Multiprocessor slave rendering is supported
- Multiprocessor batch rendering is supported
- Subframe distributed rendering added. Large, complex still renderings can be automatically split into sub-frames and submitted as Renderama jobs.
- Interlaced rendering is now supported
- Separate stitch command added to allow stitching of partially completed animations
- Line tool supports dimensional control Start point (x,y,z) Line end method (Start point, end point, direction length)
- Circle tool supports dimensional control Plane of Creation, center point and radius
- Rectangle tool supports dimensional control
- Ellipse tool supports dimensional control
- New Circle by diameter tool
- New Ellipse by diameter tool
- New Circle from three points tool
- New Circle by tangets tool
- Font outlines can be directly created in modeler
- Tool tips can be disabled
- Select After Creation preference added, which leaves objects selected after they are created.
- Separate application, Radiosity, now included with Animator
- Two solving methods: Hierarchical-quick preview and progressive-high-quality
- Can chose which objects in the scene are included in solution Material Info window has controls for radiosity emission and reflection
- Can mix Phong lighting model with radiosity solution
- Solution is stored in FACT file.
- Solve once and use solution over and over
- Solution displayed in all View windows
- Solution with added Phong lighting displayed in all View windows
- Groups can be set to be radiosity light emittors
- All controls are integrated directly into Animator.
The full version of Universe 5 runs $1,295. Upgrades from version 4 cost $349. Upgrades from previous versions cost $499. For more information, visit http://www.electricimage.com/.
Contact the author: Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at email@example.com.
Related Keywords:Electric Image Ships Universe 5 Latest release gets radiosity, new modeling tools
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved