|Page (1) of 1 - 08/13/10||email article||print page|
Digital Security Expert Offers Tips to Prevent Identity TheftCSIdentity's Isaac Chapa Talks to JustAskGemalto on Identity Theft -- and How to Protect Yourself (August 13, 2010)
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 08/13/10 -- Did you know that only 18% of identity theft can be detected through credit reports? How do individuals ensure protection from digital identity theft?
Isaac Chapa is VP of Technology and Operations at CSIdentity, an Austin-based company offering a comprehensive suite of business and personal security solutions targeting all aspects of identity theft. Chapa explains that even consumers who are careful on the Internet or don't use it at all are still at risk of identity theft -- because almost every company they do business with holds information related to their identity in online databases. That inherently puts their information at risk. According to Chapa, there are a few things that consumers can do that will help protect them from identity theft -- or at least to mitigate its consequences. They include:
- Enrolling in a program that monitors the use of your identity such as CSIdentity's CyberAgent or LifeLock's services
- Resetting online passwords frequently
- Don't share information like your social security number online, even on trusted social networks
- Using an antivirus program on your computer; and
- Being careful to visit only trusted sites on the web
The problem isn't getting any better, says Chapa, in spite of everything that we're doing with vigilance and technology. Identity theft is a growth industry and is likely to continue trending upward. And while it's almost never completely avoidable, it's absolutely possible to mitigate its negative consequences.
Details and Statistics around JustAskGemalto's Interview with CSIdentity's Isaac Chapa
- Isaac Chapa has a vast knowledge of billing systems, end-user applications, IT project management, vendor relationships and network and daily operations. Prior to joining CSIdentity, Isaac spent five years at Grande Communications in various roles.
- JustAskGemalto's interview with Isaac Chapa can be viewed on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JustAskGemalto#p/u/0/NLb5-ItiXl8
- Additional videos in JustAskGemalto's interview series are also available; view the interview with Kyle Flaherty here: http://www.youtube.com/user/JustAskGemalto#p/u/0/Yvuzjl2sAN4
- Fighting Back Against Identity Theft; The Federal Trade Commission
- Identity Theft and Identity Fraud; US Department of Justice
- ID Theft Security; Robert Siciliano, IDTheftSecurity.com
We use electronic devices on a frequent, if not daily basis -- our PC or Mac, BlackBerry, iPhone, cell phone, epassport, credit card, and employee badge. They bring us freedom and convenience and we depend on these devices to carry and exchange our personal information. Along with this freedom comes the responsibility to safeguard our identity, personal data and financial transactions. www.JustAskGemalto.com answers consumer questions about how to better enjoy the conveniences of the digital world and how to secure one's digital identity and information while surfing, buying, traveling and communicating.
WCG for JustAskGemalto
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: identity theft, online security, digital security, CSIdentity, credit card fraud, Computers/Peripherals, Internet, Communications, Digital Audio, Web, Cell phone, PDA, iPods, iphone, Applications, Security, Mac, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Apple Computer, Financial, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, Business, Internet, Judicial,