|Page (1) of 1 - 05/30/12||email article||print page|
Crossroads Systems and Spectra Logic Partner to Dramatically Decrease High-Performance Video Data Storage CostsCombining Crossroads' StrongBox LTFS NAS Solution With Spectra Logic T950 Tape Library Delivers 81 Percent Reduction in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) (May 30, 2012)
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 05/30/12 -- Crossroads Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CRDS), a global provider of data protection solutions, and Spectra Logic, an innovator in data recovery and archive, announced a partnership to offer a unique solution that can provide an 81 percent reduction in high-performance video storage costs.
Because storage alone can consume up to 50 percent of a video surveillance project, video surveillance professionals must find alternatives that solve the dilemma of balancing storage costs with the need for more capacity.
Unmatched in the video surveillance community, the joint solution dramatically decreases costs by combining Crossroads' StrongBox® network attached storage (NAS) solution with the Spectra Logic T950 tape library.
StrongBox is the first NAS archive solution that leverages the Linear Tape File System (LTFS) as its volume storage medium. It serves as an online all-the-time, non-proprietary and fully portable data vault for long-term video data storage, while Spectra Logic's T950 tape library provides truly cost-effective volume storage. The combined solution incorporates disk for fast file storage and retrieval, and physical tape for cost-effective, reliable and long-term storage.
The most advantageous aspect of a digital tape-based approach is the cost-savings associated with a move from an all disk-based environment to a NAS storage solution based on LTFS technology. For example, the savings in TCO for storing 1 petabyte of video files (2 copies) over a 10-year period utilizing Crossroads StrongBox LTFS NAS and Spectra T950 is nearly $6.5 million and an 81 percent reduction, as illustrated here:
Crossroads StrongBox & Spectra T950 ------------------------------------------------- Acquisition Costs (Hardware, Media and Software): $832,102 Support (Hardware and Software): $653,909 Energy: $9,784 TOTAL: $1,495,795 SAN Disk ------------------------------------------------- Acquisition Costs (Hardware, Media and Software): $5,749,645 Support (Hardware and Software): $1,829,829 Energy: $234,760 TOTAL: $7,814,234
The new solution offers video surveillance professionals:
- Cost-Savings: To ensure minimal total cost of ownership, the Spectra T950 tape library offers an effortless growth path to meet short and long-term capacity requirements. As a less expensive alternative to costly storage mediums, LTO tape provides the principal storage medium within the T950 library.
- Seamless Scalability: The StrongBox/T950 solution grows to fit an organization's needs with scalable augmentations for both disk and tape layers. Store millions of hours of content as the video network expands. A single StrongBox can hold up to 5 billion files, and the Spectra T950 seamlessly scales up to ten thousand LTO slots in a single library system.
- Complete Accessibility: StrongBox/T950 functions as standard network attached storage (NAS), giving flexible file access to multiple simultaneous users, anywhere in the world. File access on a Spectra LTO library is similar to hard disk, CD/DVD disc or USB media in that there is full drag and drop capability.
- Vendor Neutral through LTFS: StrongBox never modifies data. Instead, LTFS and LTO media ensure that files are universally accessible. LTFS technology refers to the open-nature, self describing format of LTO-5 tape media. Because of the open standard of LTFS, data written to StrongBox can be read by any LTFS enabled drive.
- Reliability and Security: Data protection is self-contained within StrongBox through flexible user-generated policies such as multi-copy, WAN replication and self-healing. The built-in System Monitor proactively assesses the health of the disks, tape cartridges, drives and libraries to provide a cohesive view into system health, alerting users to potential risks before an issue occurs. For added security, the StrongBox/T950 solution offers a free encryption key management option that protects content.
StrongBox, combined with Spectra Logic's library, provides customers a new file-based solution that can scale from terabytes to petabytes to support any long-term data retention requirements. StrongBox connects to the network via GbE or 10GbE and plugs into the Spectra Logic T950 via SAN (8Gb Fibre Channel) or directly with SAS. Through the use of StrongBox data management policies, video data is seamlessly served back to the application while simultaneously retrieving archived data from tape, thus providing the application or client extremely high performing data read rates.
"The demand for storage capacity to retain video surveillance images is growing at an unprecedented rate driven in part by increasing high resolution digital cameras and longer data retention polices," said Nathan Thompson, CEO of Spectra Logic. "We are delighted to team with Crossroads Systems to provide customers with storage solutions that enable them to preserve surveillance video while meeting their long-term retention and accessibility requirements."
"We are pleased to announce our partnership with Spectra Logic, a company that boasts more than 30 years of data storage innovation," said Rob Sims, President and CEO of Crossroads Systems. "Partnerships with companies such as Spectra Logic underscore the unique capabilities that StrongBox brings to the video surveillance community. StrongBox serves as an ideal companion for existing archive solutions, as it brings unprecedented cost savings and data portability through the use of LTFS."
About Crossroads Systems
Crossroads Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CRDS) is a global provider of data protection solutions and services. Crossroads offers organizations proactive data security, intelligent storage connectivity, high performance, and significant cost savings. Founded in 1996 and headquartered in Austin, Texas, Crossroads holds more than 100 patents granted and pending and has been honored with numerous industry awards for innovation in data protection and storage. Visit www.crossroads.com.
Important Cautions Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release includes forward-looking statements that relate to the business and future events or future performance of Crossroads Systems, Inc. and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause its actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to differ materially from any future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Words such as, but not limited to, "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "estimate," "intend," "plan," "targets," "likely," "will," "would," "could," and similar expressions or phrases identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements about Crossroads Systems' ability to implement its business strategy, including the transition from a hardware storage company to a software solutions and services provider, its ability to expand its distribution channels, its ability to maintain or broaden relationships with existing distribution channels and strategic alliances and develop new industry relationships, the performance of third parties in its distribution channels and of its strategic alliances, uncertainties relating to product development and commercialization, the ability to obtain, maintain or protect patent and other proprietary intellectual property rights, technological change in its industry, market acceptance of its products and services, future capital requirements, regulatory actions or delays, competition in general and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from those described herein. Forward-looking statements in this press release are based on management's beliefs and opinions at the time the statements are made. Crossroads Systems does not intend, and undertakes no duty, to update this information to reflect future events or circumstances.
©2012 Crossroads Systems, Inc. Crossroads and Crossroads Systems are registered trademarks of Crossroads Systems, Inc. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
512.928.6897 or 800.643.7148
BPC Financial Marketing
Zintel Public Relations
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Crossroads Systems, Data Management, Business, Tape, Data Storage, Storage, Marketwire, Inc., , IT (Information Technology), Security, Financial, Business, Other,