|Page (1) of 1 - 05/02/11||email article||print page|
Couchbase Releases Beta for Mobile Couchbase for iOSiPhone and iPad Developers Now Have Access to the Market's Leading NoSQL Database Technology, and the Only One Providing Native Mobile-to-Cloud Data Synchronization (May 02, 2011)
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 05/02/11 -- Couchbase, the NoSQL database company created via the recent merger of CouchOne and Membase, today announced immediate availability of a Mobile Couchbase for iOS beta release. Mobile Couchbase is powered by Apache CouchDB technology, invented by Couchbase CTO Damien Katz. Joining the Couchbase family of NoSQL data management solutions, Mobile Couchbase is the first NoSQL database available to native iOS application developers and the only one to provide transparent mobile-to-cloud data synchronization. With Mobile Couchbase, developers can build native iOS applications that automatically synchronize locally-stored data to a cloud- or datacenter-deployed Couchbase whenever network connectivity is available.
- First NoSQL database with native iOS support. Mobile Couchbase for iOS is the first NoSQL database available for developers building native iOS applications. It is delivered as an embeddable library with seamless Apple Xcode IDE integration, ensuring a familiar development experience for developers building iPhone and iPad apps.
- Only NoSQL database with mobile-to-cloud data synchronization. Mobile Couchbase can automatically maintain bi-directional synchronization between a local data set stored in Mobile Couchbase and a cloud- or datacenter-deployed Couchbase database, whenever network connectivity is available. Synchronization is powered by built-in CouchSync replication technology, the mature and proven technology that keeps millions of Ubuntu systems synchronized with Canonical's Ubuntu One cloud service. Mobile Couchbase for iOS is ideal for data such as user preferences, contacts, game scores and enterprise application data.
- Lightweight CouchDB architecture ideal for mobile devices. Mobile Couchbase for iOS is powered by Apache CouchDB, known for its efficient use of memory. The library itself is also small in size, helping keep applications under the 20MB 3G download size limit. In addition to space efficiency, CouchSync technology is designed to minimize synchronization-related radio traffic, extending battery life.
- Part of the most comprehensive and widely deployed NoSQL database family. Couchbase products represent the most comprehensive family of NoSQL database solutions for building scalable web and mobile applications. Built from proven open source data management technologies, including Apache CouchDB, Membase and Memcached, Couchbase products are in large-scale production at hundreds of companies including AOL, ShareThis and Zynga. In addition, Apache CouchDB is deployed across 10 million desktops worldwide, and at organizations such as the BBC, Canonical and Mozilla.
- "Mobile Couchbase for iOS solves a huge problem in application development -- how to build applications that run and synchronize with mobile devices. Sync has been an unsolved challenge and users are often turned off by slow applications, even when the slowness is due to network issues, not necessarily code. Now developers can take advantage of CouchDB's powerful sync capabilities to scale and share data across any mobile device on one of the most successful platforms." -- Chris Anderson, Couchbase Co-Founder and Chief Architect, Mobile
- "The beta release of Mobile Couchbase for iOS solves a difficult problem for developers and meets the unique demands of mobile applications. It also further reinforces Couchbase's NoSQL leadership, strengthening what is already the industry's most comprehensive set of scalable database technology that spans from the cloud to the datacenter to desktop and mobile devices." -- Bob Wiederhold, Couchbase CEO
- "For Pure Green, Couchbase's new mobile technology has been a game-changer. It's dramatically shortening our time to market, has reduced the need for complex development on the mobile environment and provided us with a consistent API across connected, detached and office-based use patterns. The offline capability combined with awesome replication technology makes this a superb fit for our application -- providing a reactive support tool for capturing critical data early in future environmental accidents. We hope in the future it will help get people, cities and counties back on their feet faster." -- Dave Cottlehuber, founder, Pure Green
Additional Online Resources
- Download Couchbase Mobile for iOS Beta
- Couchbase product family overview
- Read Chris Anderson's blog about Mobile Couchbase for iOS
- Register for the Portland Couchbase Meetup on May 4 to learn more about Mobile Couchbase
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
About Mobile Couchbase
Mobile Couchbase is a part of the Couchbase family of NoSQL database solutions for building scalable web and mobile applications. Built on Apache CouchDB, the widely used document data store created by Couchbase CTO Damien Katz, Mobile Couchbase is the first NoSQL database available to native iOS application developers and the only one to provide transparent mobile-to-cloud data synchronization. Mobile Couchbase also supports the Android platform.
Couchbase is the name of the new NoSQL database company and product family created through the merger of CouchOne and Membase. Couchbase products, which are built on Apache CouchDB, Membase, and Memcached open source software, represent the most comprehensive family of database solutions for building scalable web and mobile applications, with indexing, flexible querying and ease of use that developers love; and elastic clustering, robust storage management and consistently high performance relied on by system administrators and operators. Couchbase is a privately held company funded by Accel Partners, Mayfield Fund, North Bridge Venture Partners and Redpoint Ventures. www.couchbase.com
LEWIS Pulse for Couchbase
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: couchbase, couchdb, nosql, nosql database, data management, scalable mobile applications, iOS, Applications,Storage,Productivity Applications,Database,Internet,Business Issues,Software,Misc,Database,Other Applications,Open Source,Data Management,Architecture,Internet Server Applications,Management,CTO/CIO,CEO/CFO,Marketwire,Apple Computer,Internet Technology,Family,