|Page (1) of 1 - 01/12/12||email article||print page|
Corporation Service Company Provides Insight Into ICANN's New Generic Top-Level Domain ProgramCompany Advises That Organizations Need to Prepare for the Opportunities and Risks New gTLDs Will Introduce (January 12, 2012)
WILMINGTON, DE -- (Marketwire) -- 01/12/12 -- Today the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) officially opened the application process for its New Generic Top-Level Domain Program. In one of the biggest changes the Internet has ever seen, the program will potentially introduce hundreds, if not thousands, of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs). Corporation Service Company (CSC) (www.cscglobal.com/newgtlds), the industry leader in corporate domain name services, believes this historic opportunity will enable organizations to seize new revenue and expand business opportunities, but warns it also presents significant new risks.
CSC offers five points of advice for organizations interested in learning more about how they can prepare for New gTLDs even if they aren't going through the application process:
1. Update your team -- Recent opposition to ICANN's New gTLD program has created a lot of confusion among organizations about the initiative's status. Now that ICANN is accepting applications, it is important to drive the New gTLD conversation among the different departments and top executives within your organization.
2. Plan response to third party applications -- ICANN closes the application window on April 12, 2012 and will publish the full applicant list on May 1, 2012. Whether or not your organization is applying for a New gTLD, watch for applications containing trademarks / brands, competitor names / brands and relevant industry terms and devise criteria for assessing application concerns. Possible actions include filing an objection, seeking injunctive relief or other relief.
3. Identify Budget -- The 2012 budget for organizations applying for New gTLDs, as well as those only monitoring for infringement, will be impacted. Additionally, while no fees or procedures are yet available from ICANN, organizations will have the opportunity to register their marks with the Trademark Clearinghouse in late 2012 to help protect their marks in domain name registrations in these New gTLDs.
4. Get your house in order -- There are currently 22 gTLDs and 2013 will likely see the launch of 100-300 new gTLDs. To ensure a strong and scalable registry, organizations should review current portfolios and get rid of unneeded registrations, deal with current egregious infringements and plug gaps in critical TLDs.
5. Don't tune out! 2012 promises to be a wild ride with many ups, downs and changes. Even if your organization feels like it has a good handle on all the changes now, stay current and continue to follow New gTLD progress. This is a marathon and not a sprint.
To help clients prepare for New gTLDs, CSC has created a full spectrum of solutions to help not only those that are considering applying for a New gTLD, but also those interested in monitoring for infringement in this space. CSC can help do everything from prepare and submit applications for New gTLDs, to set up and maintain a registry infrastructure to support a TLD, to on-going management and compliance for your New gTLD.
Corporation Service Company, a privately held service organization founded in 1899, provides domain portfolio strategy, management and recovery services for global brands; matter management, corporate compliance, and trustee services for organizations and law firms worldwide; and due diligence and transactional services for the world's largest financial institutions. An ICANN-accredited registrar since 1999 and a longtime advocate for intellectual property (IP) rights and their protection online, CSC is a trusted partner of more than half the 100 Best Global Brands (Interbrand®). A recent survey by World Trademark Review ranked CSC #1 in customer approval for domain management services. To learn more about CSC's New gTLD services, visit www.cscglobal.com today.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Corporation Service Company, Marketwire, , Financial, Management Services, Internet Technology, Business, Internet, Other,