|Page (1) of 1 - 04/11/12||email article||print page|
Cloud Foundry Ecosystem Celebrates First Anniversary Cloud Foundry Ecosystem Celebrates First Anniversary Cloud Foundry Ecosystem Celebrates First Anniversary Cloud Foundry Ecosystem Celebrates First Anniversary Cloud Foundry Ecosystem Celebrates First AnIndustry's Leading Open Platform as a Service Adds More Clouds, More Code, More Community, More PartnersIndustry's Leading Open Platform as a Service Adds More Clouds, More Code, More Community, More PartnersIndustry's Leading Open Platform as (April 11, 2012)
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/11/12 -- VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today celebrated the first birthday of Cloud Foundry, the industry's open platform as a service (PaaS), with announcements of new partnerships, a new system for managing open source software contributions, new tools for operating large-scale services, and additional multi-cloud deployment choices.
At a live event today, VMware CTO and Senior Vice President of R&D Steve Herrod demonstrated how Cloud Foundry is becoming the open PaaS of choice for the cloud era, giving developers a choice of clouds for deployment, frameworks and application services while dramatically simplifying deployment and scaling of applications.
"Since the launch of Cloud Foundry as the first open PaaS one year ago, we've seen incredible developer excitement for a better way to build and deploy cloud applications as well as tremendous industry investment in and around Cloud Foundry," said Steve Herrod, CTO and senior vice president of R&D, VMware. "By offering a simplified approach that embraces the diversity and speed of modern application development, Cloud Foundry removes complexity at almost every stage of the development process and enables developers to take advantage of innovation that is occurring across the industry."
Cloud Foundry Expanding on Multiple Fronts
Launched by VMware in April 2011, with source code available under the Apache license, Cloud Foundry is a cloud-era application platform built to simplify and speed the development, deployment and operation of applications. Continuing Cloud Foundry's momentum, VMware today announced:
- Partners: Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA, X.commerce (an eBay company) Announce Support for Cloud Foundry - A broad array of companies are announcing investments in and around Cloud Foundry today, contributing to a vibrant ecosystem that includes development and tool providers, cloud management vendors, public cloud operators, framework and application service developers and application developers. Today, Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA and eBay's X.commerce announced their support for Cloud Foundry. Cloud9's browser-based integrated development environment now supports deployment to any instance of Cloud Foundry. Collabnet is adding support for Cloud Foundry to its agile enterprise development tools. ServiceMesh has added policy-driven deployment of Cloud Foundry for enterprises to its Agility Platform. SOASTA offers a Cloud Foundry-based automated testing solution for the cloud. X.commerce, eBay's open, end-to-end commerce technology platform, is building upon Cloud Foundry.
Read partner and industry comments on Cloud Foundry
- Community: Streamlining Open Source Participation - Cloud Foundry has been an open source project from the day it was first released. The project is widely forked and followed on GitHub and has seen broad and substantive contributions from the developer community, including support for dozens of major development frameworks and application services, as well as deployment to diverse cloud infrastructure, bug fixes, documentation and other contributions.
To facilitate even broader community participation, VMware today introduced the new CloudFoundry.org, a new source code management system for Cloud Foundry. By converging Cloud Foundry source code to a single set of public code repositories on GitHub and integrating with Gerrit for code reviews and Jenkins for continuous integration, the new process simplifies community code contributions, improves code quality and offers greater visibility into code changes as they happen.
- Code: Enabling Large-Scale, Highly Reliable Operations - VMware today introduced Cloud Foundry BOSH, an open source tool chain for release engineering, deployment and lifecycle management of large-scale distributed services. Designed to enable the systematic and prescriptive evolution of services, BOSH facilitates the operation of production instances of Cloud Foundry. Proven in the course of operating CloudFoundry.com, BOSH is available under the Apache license from CloudFoundry.org and currently includes support for VMware vSphere® as well as early support for Amazon Web Services. Source code is available today at www.github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh.
- Clouds: Delivering on the Multi-Cloud Imperative - As an open PaaS, Cloud Foundry is designed to run on a wide variety of clouds and cloud infrastructure, protecting developers from being locked into any particular cloud. This vision has been validated by the wide range of private cloud distributions, cloud management and deployment solutions and public cloud operators supporting Cloud Foundry today. This diversity gives customers multi-cloud deployment options and preserves their choice and flexibility. In a live demo, VMware today showed the same application being deployed to multiple instances of Cloud Foundry within minutes.
- Steve Herrod, VMware CTO and senior vice president of R&D, viewpoint on today's Cloud Foundry news
- More technical details on today's news
- Visit the new cloudfoundry.org and access the source code
- Watch a video that shows multi-cloud in action
- Cloud Foundry Open Tour: http://opentour.cloudfoundry.com
- Follow @cloudfoundry and @VMware on Twitter (hashtag: #cfoundry)
- To get started with Cloud Foundry, please visit http://www.cloudfoundry.com/
Cloud Foundry Open Tour: a worldwide series of "Developer Days" for developers to learn more about developing cloud applications with open PaaS. Upcoming dates include:
- Kiev, Ukraine: Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Moscow, Russia: Thursday, April 26, 2012
- London, United Kingdom: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2011 revenues of $3.77 billion, VMware has more than 350,000 customers and 50,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, Cloud Foundry, VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other names and marks mentioned herein may be registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
The OutCast Agency for VMware
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Datacenter Management, Desktop Virtualization, Application Virtualization, Virtualization Technology, Datacenter Management, Desktop Virtualization, Application Virtualization, Virtualization Technology, Datacenter Management, Desktop Virtualization, Applications, Productivity Applications, Internet, Business Issues, Cloud Computing, Other Applications, Engineering/Scientific Software, Open Source, Internet Server Applications, infrastructure, application services, Cloud infrastructure, Public cloud, Management, CTO/CIO, USA, Marketwire, Inc., , IT (Information Technology), Internet Technology, Biology, Computer Science, Other,