|Page (1) of 1 - 02/23/12||email article||print page|
Cisco to Power Mobile Video Pilot for Telefonica in SpainLeading Spanish Telecommunications Operator to Demonstrate Mobile Streaming Video Based on Cisco Mobile Videoscape Technology at Mobile World Congress 2012 (February 23, 2012)
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/23/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) today announced that it has been selected by Telefónica to support the company's newest mobile video pilot in Spain. The trial is designed to deliver mobile video services across both Wi-Fi and 3G networks and will be demonstrated at Telefónica's stand at Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona.
- The Telefónica España pilot is built upon the Cisco® ASR 5000 architecture, a network solution designed specifically for the high-demand mobile core network environment and the delivery of high-quality multimedia services.
- Part of the Cisco Mobile Videoscape solution, the Cisco ASR 5000 platform is designed to help service providers deal with the huge growth in mobile broadband services by delivering high performance in capacity, throughput, and transaction rates. The architecture can recognize different traffic flows, which allows it to shape and manage traffic while interacting with applications to deliver high-quality video experiences to any device, over any network, anytime, anywhere.
- The Telefónica España pilot allows users to stream videos to mobile devices with no disruption in service even when switching from a Wi-Fi network to a 3G signal.
- Telefónica España and Cisco are working with GreenPacket, the leading developer of next-generation mobile broadband and network solutions, to deliver the pilot, which is currently being tested on Android mobile devices and Windows 7 laptops.
- Telefónica España launched its mobile video pilot programme in January 2012 and laboratory tests have so far proven very successful, with the system able to deliver jitter-free video services to mobile handsets over both 3G and Wi-Fi networks.
- The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast predicts that, by 2015, two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video, with mobile video set to double year on year.
- Edwin Paalvast, vice president, Service Provider Group, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Russia, Cisco, commented:
"With consumer demand for mobile video set to increase exponentially over the coming years, service providers' networks will come under ever more pressure to deliver fast and reliable video services. Service providers need to embrace this trend and put in place the technology that will allow them to deliver high-quality video, whether users are on a Wi-Fi or 3G network, or even when moving between the two. Telefónica España is doing exactly that with its latest mobile video pilot, and we are delighted to be working with them to help develop these services for their customers."
- Cisco Mobile Videoscape: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1114/networking_solutions_solution_category.html#~Products
- Cisco ASR 5000: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps11035/ps11047/ps11072/data_sheet_c78-606223.html
- Cisco at Mobile World Congress: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le21/le34/MWC/2012/index.html
Cisco, Service Provider, ASR 5000, mobile, video, Videoscape, Telefónica España, Mobile World Congress
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Cisco Systems
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Investor Relations Contact(s)
+1 408 525 3170
Industry Analyst Relations
Lisa M Soto
+1 949 823 4778
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Cisco, Service Provider, ASR 5000, mobile, video, Videoscape, Telefonica Espana, Mobile World Congress, Applications, Networking, Business Issues, Telecommunications, Broadcast, Streaming, Prosumer/Consumer, Internet Media, Mobile Video, Africa, Russia, USA, Spain, Marketwire, , middle east, russia, Other,