|Page (1) of 1 - 02/29/12||email article||print page|
Cisco Selected by Chicago Urban Real Estate Developer to Develop Technology Master Plan for Smart+Connected Communities Project at Chicago LakesideNew Development and Revitalization of Surrounding Neighborhoods at the Heart of 21st Century Community (February 29, 2012)
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/29/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) and McCaffery Interests, a Chicago-based real estate investment firm, today announced an extension of the two companies' collaboration which sees Cisco appointed as the master Information and Communications Technology (ICT) planner for the Lakeside Development project in Chicago. The project, on the site of the former U.S. Steel mill, aims to develop a Smart+Connected Community that will have a positive impact on the economic, social and environmental sustainability of the Chicago area. At the Chicago Lakeside, Cisco's Wim Elfrink, executive vice president of Emerging Solutions and chief globalization officer, and local leaders discussed the role of ICT in revitalizing brownfield sites to create sustainable and innovative neighborhoods.
Cisco also today announced further Smart+Connected Community initiatives in Chicago that aim to foster smarter working and incubate technology innovation; a multi-stakeholder collaboration to investigate the social lives of cities; and details of Cisco's role in Chicago's STEM Education Initiative announced by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel yesterday.
Attendees at the event included:
- Dan McCaffery, chairman, McCaffery Interests
- Kevin Willer, CEO, Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center
- Susana Vasquez, executive director, Local Initiatives Support Corporation Chicago
- Alderman Sandi Jackson, 7th Ward
- Alderman John Pope, 10th Ward
Cisco and McCaffery Collaboration
- Today's announcement between Cisco and McCaffery Interests builds on the companies' shared vision to design and build sustainable communities, particularly on the Chicago Lakeside project.
- Within the new collaboration framework, Cisco will provide McCaffery with an in-depth ICT infrastructure assessment for the development of sustainable neighborhoods.
- The global architecture and city design firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM), which has led the master planning of Lakeside since 2004 is also working with Cisco and other international firms on innovation around renewable energy, waste, water and ICT to create a world-leading, sustainable urban lifestyle community on Chicago's South Side lakefront.
Cisco Supports 1871, Managed by the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center
- Cisco also announced a collaboration effort with Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center President & CEO Kevin Willer to build a new smart working center named 1871, managed by the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center that promotes entrepreneurship and collaboration throughout the city.
- Cisco is a corporate sponsor of 1871, a 50,000-square-foot working space for entrepreneurs and startups on the twelfth floor of the Merchandise Mart. In addition to supplying the necessary hardware infrastructure, Cisco will aid in transforming the space into a smart work center.
Cisco Partners with City of Chicago to Study 'Social Life of Cities'
- Cisco also today announced that it is working with the city of Chicago, the Lakeside Community, and a new venture from UK social innovation incubator The Young Foundation, Social Life, to co-create an exciting new initiative -- the Social Life of Cities -- that will identify, develop, and share new ways of thinking about the way cities connect with, and are impacted by, the changing rhythms and expectations of the people who live in them.
Cisco Supports Mayor's Goal to Raise High School Graduation Rates
- Building on the commitment to create sustainable future cities, the city announced, during an event with Mayor Rahm Emanuel yesterday, that it has won a highly competitive grant to help raise high school and community college graduation rates and better prepare recent graduates for the 21st century workforce. With the support of Cisco and other partners, students will have the opportunity to enroll in one of five Early College STEM Schools (ECSS) that will offer an increased focus on technology skills and career readiness.
These new announcements showcase further momentum for Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities initiative following a recent global customer update regarding communities in Toronto, Canada, the Delhi Mumbai Industrial corridor in India, and the City of Guayaquil in Ecuador. City leaders and urban planners are increasingly identifying IT and the network as integral parts of their urban development efforts and have selected Cisco and its certified partners in using Cisco's S+CC Advisory Services and ICT capabilities for their urban planning initiatives.
Wim Elfrink, executive vice president, Emerging Solutions and chief globalisation officer:
"The development of the Chicago Lakeside is truly groundbreaking in that it brings together new development and urban revitalization in a way that is harmonious to the local community. Holistic urban planning with ICT represents a key enabler to economic, social and environmental sustainability. The city of Chicago is creating a competitive growth environment for local technology entrepreneurs in the region, and we are excited to be a part of the development."
Dan McCaffery, chairman and CEO, McCaffery Interests:
"We cannot express how excited we are to have such a wonderful partner as Cisco. With the involvement and expertise of Cisco, we truly have an opportunity for this site to provide a competitive advantage for the city of Chicago into the next 40 years."
- More information on Cisco's Unified Services Delivery Platform (SDP): http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?type=webcontent&articleId=460192
- More information on Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities initiative: http://www.cisco.com/go/smartconnectedcommunities
- Video series on Cities of the Future: http://newsroom.cisco.com/songdo
- Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
+1 (408) 525 6320
+1 (949) 823 3787
+1 408 527 6538
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: cisco, networking, router, Education, Networking, Business Issues, Hardware, Career, Canada, USA, Toronto, India, Marketwire, , Lifestyle, Environmental Technology, Green Technology, india, Other,