|Page (1) of 1 - 01/18/12||email article||print page|
Check Point Survey Reveals 71 Percent of Businesses Admit Mobile Devices Have Increased Security Incidents(January 18, 2012)
REDWOOD CITY, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/18/12 -- Check Point® Software Technologies Ltd. (NASDAQ: CHKP), the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, today announced the results of a new report revealing the number of personal mobile devices connecting to the corporate network has more than doubled in the past two years -- with nearly half of devices storing sensitive data. The report, The Impact of Mobile Devices on Information Security, shows 71 percent of businesses believe mobile devices have caused an increase in security incidents, citing significant concerns about the loss and privacy of sensitive information stored on employee devices, including corporate email (79%), customer data (47%) and network login credentials (38%).
Smartphones and tablet PCs continue to proliferate in corporate environments, presenting significant business benefits such as increased work efficiency and easy access to resources. While businesses are steadily accepting this trend, IT administrators struggle with securing the abundance of devices and operating systems, while also protecting their organization against data loss and the rise in mobile threats.
"The consumerization of IT is among the top concerns for CIOs this coming year and we wanted to assess from IT administrators the current security challenges they face when it comes to mobile computing," said Juliette Sultan, head of global marketing at Check Point Software Technologies. "The explosion of mobile devices connecting to the corporate network often creates greater opportunities for data loss and increased security management complexity. We anticipate this trend will continue to rise in 2012, encouraging enterprises to enforce the proper remote access policies to minimize the frequency, risk and costs associated with securing the mobile enterprise."
Key Findings from the Report:
- Rise in Mobile Devices Connecting to the Corporate Network -- Approximately 94 percent of businesses surveyed have an increased number of personal mobile devices connecting to the corporate network, with 78% of respondents seeing the number of devices more than double in the last two years.
- Most Common Mobile Devices and their Security Risks -- Apple (30%) and BlackBerry (29%) were the most common types of mobile devices connecting to corporate networks, followed by Android (21%). Nearly half of respondents (43%) also believe Android devices pose a larger security risk to the mobile enterprise.
- Employee Behavior Impacts Security of Mobile Data -- The majority of businesses believe the lack of security awareness among employees as the greatest factor impacting mobile data -- followed by mobile web browsing (61%), insecure Wi-Fi connectivity (59%), lost or stolen devices (58%) and malicious mobile application downloads (57%).
- Correlation between Rise in Mobile Devices and Security Incidents -- Approximately 71% of businesses believe smartphones and tablet PCs have contributed to an increase in the number of security events in their organizations within the past two years.
- Many Mobile Devices Store Sensitive Customer and Business Data -- Personal and corporate owned devices often store and access a variety of sensitive information including email (79%), customer data (47%) and login credentials (38%) for internal databases or business applications.
Check Point has been a leader in mobile data protection for over eleven years. As businesses continue to face the challenges with data security and the consumerization of IT, the Check Point Mobile Access Software Blade brings customers advanced SSL VPN connectivity and encryption technology to protect against mobile security threats as users connect to the corporate network -- anytime, anywhere. For more information about Check Point's complete range of mobile and data security solutions, visit: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/index.html#endpoint.
The study, The Impact of Mobile Devices on Information Security, surveyed over 750 IT and security professionals located in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Germany and Japan. The survey sample represents organizations of all sizes and across multiple industries, including financial, industrial, defense, retail, healthcare and education. To access the full report, visit: http://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/products/check-point-mobile-security-survey-report.pdf.
"A good mobile security strategy will focus on educating employees about mobile security policies, while simplifying management and enforcing the proper secure access controls to protect data on-the-go. Check Point offers customers this level of flexibility -- enabling businesses to secure all networks, endpoints and mobile devices with a holistic view of the corporate environment," concluded Sultan.
About Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (www.checkpoint.com), the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, provides customers with uncompromised protection against all types of threats, reduces security complexity and lowers total cost of ownership. Check Point first pioneered the industry with FireWall-1 and its patented stateful inspection technology. Today, Check Point continues to develop new innovations based on the Software Blade Architecture, providing customers with flexible and simple solutions that can be fully customized to meet the exact security needs of any organization. Check Point is the only vendor to go beyond technology and define security as a business process. Check Point 3D Security uniquely combines policy, people and enforcement for greater protection of information assets and helps organizations implement a blueprint for security that aligns with business needs. Customers include tens of thousands of organizations of all sizes, including all Fortune and Global 100 companies. Check Point's award-winning ZoneAlarm solutions protect millions of consumers from hackers, spyware and identity theft.
©2012 Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. All rights reserved
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1858391
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: mobile workforce, mobile security, personal mobile devices, corporate network, check point, Internet,Digital Media Software,Communications,WiFi,Web,Smart Phone,PDA,Home Networks,Applications,Security,EMail,Applications,Sales & Marketing,Education,Security,Computer Technology,Internet,Threats,Theft,Hackers,Mobile Devices,Blackberry,Architecture,Security,Internet Server Applications,E-mail,Management,Canada,Germany,USA,Japan,Marketwire, ,IT (Information Technology),Security,Financial,Internet Technology,Computer Science,Business,Internet,Email,