|Page (1) of 1 - 06/12/12||email article||print page|
Cheapflights.ca Puts You Centre Stage With Its List of Top 10 Cities for Live Theatre(June 12, 2012)
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 06/12/12 -- Neil Patrick Harris opened Sunday's 66th Annual Tony Awards with a song asking "What if life were more like theatre, wouldn't life be grand?" If that's your frame of mind too, then this list is for you. The team at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, has put together its list of the Top 10 Cities for Live Theatre, offering enticing destinations for those who love drama, comedy, music and spectacle.
Great theatre can be found the world over, of course. On any given day, a local playhouse or regional production might move audiences and charm visitors. However, catching a show in one of the Cheapflights.ca Top 10 Cities for Live Theatre takes entertainment to a new level. Below are five destinations where English is your ticket to seeing a show:
- New York City, New York - Anyone who's stood under the bright lights of Times Square knows just how magical New York's theatre scene truly is. The planet's most talented actors, dancers, singers, directors, playwrights -- need we go on? -- set their sights on the Big Apple when it comes to showcasing their artistic abilities. From Sondheim's musical masterpieces to The Public's Shakespeare in the Park series ('As You Like It' is running now) to downtown's lesser-known, stellar playhouses, New York's live theatre options are endless.
- London, England - Shakespeare set the bar high when he wrote timeless classics -- Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and Twelfth Night, just to name a few -- for the London stage. Four-hundred years later, London is still an epicentre of live theatre, presenting not-to-be-missed plays and long-run musicals like Les Miserables, Jersey Boys and The Lion King in the city's bustling West End. For a throwback to the days of yore, theatregoers catch shows in the South Bank, home to the National Theatre and the reconstructed (the first burned down) Globe Theatre.
- Toronto, Canada - Toronto's active theatre scene makes it a must-stop for national and international touring companies year-round. The dramatic destination is less expensive than New York and Chicago, giving both Canadians and Americans reason to spend (less) money on first-rate, Broadway-style shows. Smack dab in the city's Entertainment District are endless viewing options, including Toronto's Second City and the historic Royal Alexandra Theatre, the oldest continuously operating theatre in North America.
- Chicago, Illinois - The Second City holds its own against its East Coast rival, New York, thanks to a bevy of cultural offerings. Topping that list: theatre. Chicago's downtown, also known as The Loop, packs internationally renowned spaces -- like the Goodman and Chicago theatres -- into a historic multi-block-radius that'll impress any drama lover. Further uptown, comedians put on side-splitting performances seven days a week at comedy and improvisation clubs, including the one-and-only Second City, where Tina Fey, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert and other hilarious stars got their starts.
- Edinburgh, Scotland - The ancient Scottish capital has entertainment of all kinds to offer, but most people know Edinburgh as a theatrical haven -- in particular, for its annual Fringe Festival. For three weeks every August, thousands of performers take to numerous stages to deliver performances of every kind. Comedies, musicals, operas and performance art are undertaken by famous and anonymous thespians alike. Fifty-plus years in, the Fringe Festival has become synonymous with the capital.
Rounding out the list, we have five top theatre towns for those looking to test their foreign language skills: Paris, France; Vienna, Austria; Athens, Greece; Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Beijing, China. To read more details about these theatre towns or to see the complete list of Cheapflights.ca's Top 10 Cities for Live Theatre, visit http://www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-cities-for-live-theatre.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2010716
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Cheapflights.ca, Tony Awards, Theatre, top 10, travel, airlines, destination, entertainment, play, musical, Canada, England, France, Germany, USA, China, Australia, New Zealand, Cities, Cities, Italy, Spain, Marketwire, Music, Entertainment, china, england, Other,