|Page (1) of 1 - 12/17/10||email article||print page|
Challenged by Deployment of Apple iPads in Your Enterprise? Tips From 318 ConsultingNewly Published Enterprise iPhone and iPad Administrator's Guide Authored by 318 Inc.'s Director of Technology Charles Edge (December 17, 2010)
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/10 -- Challenged by the deployment of Apple iPads in your enterprise? Not surprising, when Gartner estimates that media tablet sales reached 19.5 million units in 2010, driven by sales of the iPad.(1) Media tablets and the iPad will fuel even faster growth in the category of mobile PCs, already 55 percent of industry shipments in 2009 and forecasted to reach 70 percent by 2012, according to Gartner.
As a result, many Fortune 2000 enterprise CIOs and SMB IT directors are caught reacting to the immediate need to integrate Apple iPads and iPhones for mobile executives and sales teams.
"At 318, we are arguably the most sought after consultancy in the country specializing in integrating Apple in the enterprise, and that means making Apple a first-class citizen in a Microsoft or Linux network," said Kevin Klein, president and CEO of 318, Inc., a technology agnostic IT consulting and development firm.
Charles Edge, director of technology for 318, authored a new book "Enterprise iPhone and iPad Administrator's Guide" (published by Apress), his sixth book on the subject of Apple in the enterprise, all with an emphasis on security.
"The difficulty of securely and efficiently deploying Apple in the enterprise is that IT teams in most organizations are more familiar with deploying Microsoft solutions," said Edge. "Even something as basic as opening a Microsoft Word document stored on a server, changing it on the iPad and saving it back to the server cannot be done out-of-the box. Unfortunately, the timelines for most IT organizations are such that they need to have mass integration done yesterday, which leads many of them to engage 318 to help."
As a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, 318's team of engineers has the expertise necessary to get this done fast in any type of heterogeneous Apple, Microsoft, Linux or cloud-based environment.
Here is how 318's team is advising clients that are trying to bring iPads and iPhones into enterprise environments:
1. Clearly define the business objectives behind the deployment; many organizations start to implement iPads or iPhones without a clear understanding of the user requirements.
2. Define a set of policies -- access, authentication, security -- that can then be implemented in iOS, Apple's operating system for iPad and iPhone.
3. Make sure you understand the intended work flow and apps required on the device; it's all about the applications and what lies behind them on the servers.
4. IT departments need to get in front of the iPad and iPhone tsunami in the enterprise and lead the integration planning; if not, business units will take the initiative and set the tone. They may not understand all of the policies that need to be enforced, and trying to reactively correct these can lead to unnecessary political pressures.
For more information about 318's capabilities to deploy Apple in the enterprise and its other services, please visit www.318.com.
318, Inc. is a leading technology services company focused on heterogeneous Apple/Microsoft/Linux infrastructures in Fortune 2000 enterprises and SMBs. With offices in Los Angeles, Portland, Minneapolis and Seattle, the company provides technology consulting, software development and support services nationwide. It specializes in process automation projects that change IT from a cost into profit centers, and is one of the most sought after enterprise-class Apple consultancies in the country.
- Apple Professional Services Provider
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- iPad Authorized VAR/Apple Authorized Reseller
- Platinum Member, FileMaker Business Alliance
- National Association of Broadcasters "Best in Show" Winner (mobile DTV broadcasting)
(1) "Gartner to CEOs: Seize the iPad Opportunity Now," Gartner News Release, Nov. 4, 2010; "Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments to Grow 20 Percent in 2010," Gartner News Release, Mar. 4, 2010
Montner & Associates
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: apple enterprise, enterprise ipad, ipad enterprise security, it consulting company, Apple consulting, Sales, Applications, Sales & Marketing, Security, Software Development, Authentication, Authentication, Sales, Sales, Business, DTV, Broadcast Technology, DTV, Software, OS (Operating System), Unix, Linux, Marketwire, Inc., IT (Information Technology), Security, Software Development, Apple Computer, Gold, Television, Geology, Oceanography, Computer Science, Business, Other,