|Page (1) of 1 - 02/21/06||email article||print page|
Canon Debuts 22 New Products And Expands Its Presence In Professional Printing MarketNow offers photographers a choice in digital cameras and professional printing solutions (February 21, 2006)
Canon, America's choice for digital cameras , will showcase 22 new products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) trade show, February 26th - March 1st (Canon Booth #3509), in Orlando, Fla.
Confirming its market leadership, the NPD Group reports that the Canon brand captured the number one position in total digital camera sales for 2005, with a market share of 22.5 percent (which is up from 20.5 percent in 2004), based on unit sales of both compact and digital SLR cameras combined. In addition, Canon was the number one brand in both NPD's Digital Point-and-Shoot and Digital SLR unit sales categories, with market shares of 20.9 percent and 52.3 percent, respectively.
"Canon's long 70-plus year history of expertise in the photographic market positions us for such market leadership," said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manager of the consumer imaging group at Canon U.S.A., Inc. "We are the only camera company today that can offer professionals and advanced amateurs a choice of either full frame or APS-C/H-sized image sensors to meet their demanding photographic needs. We offer one of the widest selections of digital cameras available, supporting both our end-users and our dealers. In addition, we offer one of the widest selections of interchangeable autofocus lenses with more than 30 million EF lenses in production worldwide. And, now we can offer photographers a choice in professional printing solutions as well.
"We are proud to be the camera of choice for consumers and professionals," added Mr. Hashimoto. "In this digital world, we now strive to be the digital imaging solution of choice. It is our growth into both the display market - with the launch of our new REALiS projector line - and professional photographic printing - with the introduction of our new PIXMA Pro and imagePROGRAF printers - that will help us achieve this goal."
Continuing its tradition of quality and reliability, the new Canon products debuting at this year's PMA exhibit include:
EOS 30D Digital SLR
As a step-up from the EOS 20D model, Canon's new EOS 30D Digital SLR incorporates features similar to the higher-priced EOS 5D model, at a lower price. The EOS 30D Digital SLR incorporates many direct results of customer feedback, with improvements such as:
* Brilliant 2.5-inch LCD screen;
* Shutter durability rated to 100,000 cycles;
* The addition of the Picture Style function;
* An increased burst rate (five frames-per-second (fps) up to 30 consecutive frames in JPEG mode);
* 3.5 percent spot metering;
* A lightning-fast 0.15 second startup time;
* An optional RGB histogram function; and
* ISO adjustment in 1/3-stop increments.
Scheduled for mid-March delivery, the EOS 30D Digital SLR will be available at estimated street prices of $1,399  for the body kit, and $1,499 for the EF-S 18-55mm II zoom lens kit.
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Already legendary for its image quality, Canon has improved upon its original EF 85mm f/1.2L II lens with a new model that has approximately 1.8X faster autofocusing than its predecessor to meet the needs of demanding professionals. Available in mid-March, the lens has an estimated street price of $2,099.
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Professional photographers and advanced amateurs with APS-C size digital SLRs now have access to the fastest Canon EF-S zoom lens yet. Three-stop optical image stabilization along with three aspherical and two UD elements combine to make this new lens a must have item for owners of the EOS 30D, EOS 20D, EOS Digital Rebel XT and EOS Digital Rebel SLRs. Scheduled for delivery in mid-March, this lens has an estimated selling price of $1,149.
PowerShot Digital ELPH Cameras and new SD430 functions
This year, the Canon Digital ELPH line continues the tradition of fitting the latest advanced features into compact and stylish packages.
* PowerShot SD430 Digital ELPH Wireless camera gains the ability to share images wirelessly with other SD430 digital cameras with a new feature called Wireless Camera-to-Camera Communication. A Firmware update for the camera via web download is required (Available tentatively May 2006).
* PowerShot SD700 IS Digital ELPH camera is a six-megapixel model with the first ever 4X optical zoom lens on a digital ELPH camera, and this lens features Optical Image Stabilization. The camera also includes an optical viewfinder and a 2.5-inch wide viewing angle LCD. Scheduled for delivery in April, the PowerShot SD700 IS Digital ELPH camera will carry an estimated selling price of $499.99.
* PowerShot SD630 Digital ELPH camera is a six-megapixel camera with a huge 3-inch LCD and a new intuitive touch sensitive control dial for smooth operation. It will be available in March for an estimated selling price of $399.99.
* PowerShot SD600 Digital ELPH camera is a six-megapixel model with a 3X optical zoom lens and a 2.5-inch LCD screen. This camera maintains an optical viewfinder. It will be available in April, for an estimated selling price of $349.99
PowerShot A-series cameras
Named for their use of AA batteries, Canon's PowerShot A-series digital cameras feature high image quality and offer comfortably placed controls for consumers to capture, save, and share images of meaningful memories, personal milestones, and family functions. Four more cameras will join the "A-List" line this year with more advanced features still at a value minded price.
* PowerShot A700 digital camera includes a 6X optical zoom, six-megapixel resolution, 22 shooting modes and a 2.5-inch LCD screen. Available in March, the A700 model will carry an estimated selling price of $349.99.
* PowerShot A540 digital camera is a solid mid-range model, with six-megapixel resolution, a 2.5-inch LCD screen and a 4X optical zoom. It will be available in March for an estimated selling price of $299.99.
* PowerShot A530 digital camera is a five-megapixel model that replaces last year's top-selling four-megapixel A520 model. It retains the A520's 4X optical zoom and 1.8-inch LCD screen. Also scheduled for March delivery, the PowerShot A530 digital camera will have an estimated selling price of $229.99.
* PowerShot A430 digital camera features four-megapixel resolution, 4X optical zoom and a 1.8-inch LCD screen at the astoundingly low estimated selling price of $179.99.
* PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera builds on the success of its multi-talented predecessor, the PowerShot S2 IS model. The new six-megapixel digital camera features an image stabilized 12x optical zoom that can even be used in the camera's advanced movie mode. Easy to use controls, stereo sound recording, a 2.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD and a unique MovieSnap function make this camera feel at home in the hands of photography novices as well as advanced amateurs. Scheduled for April delivery, the PowerShot S3 IS digital camera will carry an estimated selling price of $499.99.
Canon DC40 and DC100 DVD Camcorders
Canon's newest DVD camcorders offer something for everyone and the best of both worlds for shooting home movies and stills. The DC40 DVD camcorder is a true hybrid capable of taking four megapixel stills, while the modestly priced and ultra slim DC100 DVD camcorder is a steal at $499.99, especially with a 25x optical zoom.
Both camcorders features high-resolution widescreen recording to fit today's widescreen TV's, one touch dubbing, and image stabilization. Available in early April, the DC40 DVD camcorder has an estimated street price of $899.99, while the DC100 DVD camcorder will be available in mid-April.
* imagePROGRAF iPF5000 Large Format Printer provides a 12-color pigment-based ink set and is designed to produce professional-style prints with outstanding archival image quality, using Canon's new Lucia pigmented inks. The iPF5000 device is ideal for professional photographers looking to have their work stand out in a crowd. This next evolution in Canon's large format portfolio provides one of the industry's largest color gamuts with a new 12-color inkset. Available in April, the printer will carry a manufacturer's suggested list price of $1,945.
* PIXMA Pro9500 model is the first PIXMA photo printer to use ten pigment ink cartridges with Canon's new Lucia pigmented inks which provide Photo Black, Matte Black, Gray, Photo Magenta, Magenta, Photo Cyan, Cyan, Yellow, Green, and Red for true-to-life color and monochrome prints that are ready for the gallery wall.
* PIXMA Pro9000 printer uses eight dye-based ink cartridges to deliver prints that rival the color of photo lab film. Users can also take advantage of new Direct Print features and bundled software to help speed up workflow.
* PIXMA MP800R and MP830: Productivity and photo fun join Canon's newest All-In-One printers. The PIXMA MP800R Photo All-In-One brings home the ease of wireless communication to printing, scanning, and copying, while the PIXMA MP830 Office All-in-One features Super G3 FAX capability, and an automatic document feeder that can copy two-sided documents for faster operation. Available in March, the Canon PIXMA 800R Photo All-In-One and the PIXMA MP830 Office All-In-One will have an estimated selling price of $399 and $299 respectively.
REALiS Multimedia Projectors feature Canon's patented, proprietary latest generation AISYS (Aspectual Illumination System) optical system. AISYS enhances LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) technology to achieve crisp, color-rich, intricately detailed images by efficiently utilizing and equalizing light from the projector lamp. Canon's AISYS-enhanced LCOS technology displays exceptionally detailed, seamless, lattice-free motion or still images.
* REALiS SX6 Multimedia Projector features 3,500 ANSI lumens, SXGA+ high-resolution, and Adobe RGB color support, so that professional photographers and graphic artists can project images in the color space with which they were captured. The manufacturer's suggested list price for the REALiS SX6 Multimedia Projector is $6,999, available in mid-May.
* REALiS SX60 Multimedia Projector features 2,500 ANSI lumens and SXGA+ high-resolution, designed to meet the demands of professionals with critical viewing requirements (engineer, designers, etc.). Its ultra-quiet 27dB noise level, 2000:1 contrast ratio, and lattice-free image properties also appeal to home cinema enthusiasts. The REALiS SX60 Multimedia Projector will be available in mid-May for a manufacturer's suggested list price of Projector is $5,999.
* REALiS X600 Multimedia Projector is the world's first XGA resolution LCOS projector to deliver high quality and exceptional color reproduction at an affordable price. This projector provides excellent price-performance with 3500 ANSI Lumens for clear display of large images, even in brightly lit situations. This projector is ideal for business presentations and boardroom installations. The REALiS X600 Multimedia Projector will be available at the end of May for a manufacturer's suggested list price of $3,999.
 According to The NPD Group point-of-sale data, Canon ranked number one for unit and dollar sales of digital cameras at 22.5 percent of the market, which includes digital SLRs.
 All prices referenced are estimated selling prices only. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The Company is listed as one of / Fortune/'s Most Admired Companies in America and is rated #35 on the / BusinessWeek/ list of "Top 100 Brands." Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent holder of technology, ranking second overall in the U.S. in 2005, with global revenues of $31.8 billion.
For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.
Related Keywords:Canon, photographers, digital cameras, printing, Digital SLR, EOS 30D, EF 85mm, lens, EF-S 17-55mm, PowerShot, Digital ELPH, SD700 IS, SD630, SD600, PowerShot A-series, A700, A540, A530, A430, S3 IS, DC40, DC100, camcorders, imagePROGRAF, iPF5000, PIXMA Pro9500, Pro9000, MP800R, REALiS, SX6, SX60, X600,