|Page (1) of 1 - 04/06/10||email article||print page|
BigFix Expands and Enhances Server Management OfferingsSingle Pane of Glass Management and Visibility for Distributed, Heterogeneous Server IT Infrastructures -- Virtual and Physical (April 06, 2010)
EMERYVILLE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/06/10 --
- BigFix has made several feature and function upgrades to its Server Management solutions that enable customers to improve their ability to consolidate management of entire IT infrastructures across several dimensions of heterogeneity -- endpoint desktop/mobile computers and servers; Windows, UNIX, Linux, Mac OS, and VMware ESX operating environments; physical and virtual assets; centralized and globally distributed architectures.
- Key enhancements include:
- Improved support for managing Linux-based assets, including Linux software distribution and patching.
- New abilities to manage servers running VMware ESX virtualization software, including patch management and asset inventory support for virtual machines running in ESX hypervisor environments.
- Addition of many non-Microsoft Windows applications to BigFix DSS Software Asset Management software catalogs, enabling seamless license and usage management of Windows, Linux, UNIX and other applications via the BigFix Unified Management Platform.
- Access to BigFix technical controls policy libraries for automated, continuous compliance and reporting for standards such as Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), Federal Desktop Core Configuration (FDCC), and Defense Information Systems Agency Security Technical Implementation Guides (DISA STIG).
- Breadth of coverage extends to over a dozen distinct Unix platforms, multiple flavors of Windows including Windows Server 2000, Server 2003, Server 2008 as well as multiple variants of Linux (Red Hat Enterprise, SUSE, zLinux, and VMware ESX hypervisors).
- BigFix's delivery of comprehensive server management functionality combined with its established strengths in desktop/laptop/mobile device management and security enable customers to unify management processes across entire IT infrastructures, saving time, simplifying processes, and lowering total cost of ownership.
- BigFix's easy licensing terms put automated server management within reach of organizations that cannot justify the cost of "big iron" solutions often overloaded with irrelevant features.
BigFix Server Management Solutions
- BigFix Server Management solutions start by leveraging the same BigFix Unified Management Platform (BigFix Agent, BigFix Relays, BigFix Server, etc.) used to provide real-time visibility and control of distributed endpoint PCs, laptop/notebook, and mobile devices.
- This can create a "single pane of glass" for managing distributed PCs, mobile devices, and servers over a single BigFix visibility and control solution for centralized IT organizations.
- Customers can also incrementally implement BigFix Server Management in existing BigFix solutions by adding BigFix Agents to server computers without needing to invest in additional support infrastructure or first-time start up costs.
- BigFix Server Management provides access to a wide array of server management applications including Patch Management, Configuration Management, Vulnerability Management, Continuous Compliance Controls, Software Asset Management as well as custom policy and scripting features.
- Installing the BigFix Agent and the vast majority of management actions enabled by BigFix Server Management do not require rebooting the server or disrupting service availability -- utilizing an average of two percent of CPU processing bandwidth, the BigFix Agent is lightweight and optimized to work in server environments.
- With regards to regulatory compliance functionality, customers have access to a growing library of over 4,300 technical configuration controls, covering sixteen server platforms.
- Customers can select very granular deployment options to ensure that all operational changes occur during approved change management windows, with detailed audit trails.
- BigFix's open architecture allows customers to leverage existing scripts and tools consistently across many servers, automating what they already have and trust.
- A recent Gartner research note, "Server Configuration and Tool Options for SMBs" (Published February 8, 2010, ID Number: G00174367), places BigFix on a Shortlist for Server Management solutions along with Symantec-Altiris Server Management Suite and Microsoft ConfigMgr R2.
- The research note is available to qualified BigFix prospects and customers at http://www.bigfix.com/gartner.
Jonathan Fan, BigFix senior director, product management said: "While most people think of BigFix for desktop/laptop/mobile endpoint configuration management, security, and compliance, we have extended the value these solutions provide to server environments with added function for server-specific requirements. In server environments, we provide comprehensive functionality at affordable prices, bringing automated server management within reach of almost every business and organization. Better yet, customers who deploy both BigFix endpoint and server management solutions can see and do everything through the BigFix Unified Management platform -- saving time, money, and building quality and consistency into their IT systems management, security and compliance programs."
Ronni Colville, VP and distinguished analyst for Gartner's IT Operations Management Group said: "Over the past year we have seen that many IT organizations are looking to automate their data center server infrastructure, especially as virtualization adoption grows and visibility and configuration control become more critical."
- BigFix Server Management Solutions Page: http://tinyurl.com/yj7cmeg
- BigFix Gartner "Server Configuration and Tool Options for SMBs" research note offer page: http://www.bigfix.com/gartner
- Key Words: BigFix, Server Management, Compliance, Linux, UNIX, ESX, hypervisor, DISA STIG, FDCC, PCI DSS
Founded in 1997, the BigFix®, Inc. solutions support a global portfolio of A-list organizations in government, finance, retail, educational, industrial and public utility sectors. BigFix revolutionizes IT infrastructure management by replacing fragmented collections of single-purpose tools with the industry's only unified visibility and control architecture that consolidates up to 18 security, IT compliance, decision support, and green computing functions. For more information, visit www.bigfix.com, follow BigFix on Twitter @BigFix, or stay in touch on the BigFix Facebook page, http://tinyurl.com/mvn9nu.
© 2010 BigFix, Inc. All rights reserved. All company and product names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Connecting Point Communications for BigFix, Inc.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords:BigFix, Server Management, Compliance, Linux, UNIX, ESX, hypervisor, DISA STIG, FDCC, PCI DSS, Applications, Finance, asset management, Security, Computer Technology, Business Issues, Mobile Devices, Management, Finance/Accounting, Finance/Accounting, Unix, Mac, Unix, Linux, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Inc., IT (Information Technology), Security, Environmental Technology, Green Technology, Business, Outdoor Sports, Other,