|Page (1) of 1 - 08/08/03||email article||print page|
Bauhaus Reveals Mirage 1.0Software suite offers motion graphics, compositing, effects and paint
Mirage 1.0 is the evolution of Aura, formerly marketed through NewTek, with several added capabilities and performance enhancements, along with new support for Mac OS X. I had a chance to see a pre-release version of the software running on both Macintosh and Windows systems, and performance was real-time or near-real-time, even when manipulating multiple layers of video mixed with effects, volumetric lighting and animation at broadcast resolutions. (I'll bring you more real-world details of the software in an upcoming "first look" feature.)
Mirage is designed to centralize the workflow for visual effects production. To this end, it offers a wide range of production capabilities, including motion graphics, compositing, effects, animation and painting. Specific features include:
- A large number of built-in effects, such as particles, flares, volumetric lighting, cloning, etc.;
- Real-time, 64-bit, sub-pixel-accurate video painting, which includes text and video tools, natural media emulation, animated brushes and other drawing and filling features;
- Infinite layer manipulation with color, luminance and difference keying (with color suppression), four-point tracking and two-point image stabilization;
- A full-featured, layer-based animation system, including keyframing and motion paths;
- A full complement of color correction tools, including HSV, LUTs, histogram and color-region-independent channel controls.
Mirage 1.0 also includes the ability to import all standard file formats and I/O support for TWAIN devices a range of third-party hardware devices. It also includes its own scripting language and plugin API.
Mirage 1.0 is expected to ship Oct. 15 for Mac OS X and Windows for $899. A pre-release version will be available Aug. 11 for existing customers of NewTek Aura, LightWave and Video Toaster. We'll bring you additional details in the near future. For more information, visit http://www.bauhaussoftware.com.
Contact the author: Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Mac OS, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at [email protected].
Related Keywords:Bauhaus Reveals Mirage 1.0