|Page (1) of 1 - 02/21/12||email article||print page|
Avaya at HIMSS 2012 Spotlights New Healthcare Technology Innovations to Enhance Patient Care, Reduce CostsUnified Communications Innovator Introduces and Demonstrates Collaboration Solutions to Improve Care Coordination, Patient Interaction and Remote/Home-Based Patient Care (February 21, 2012)
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwire) -- 02/21/12 -- HIMSS Conference and Exhibition --
- Parkview Health, northwest Indiana's largest healthcare provider, improves response times and patient care with Avaya's solution for mobile care coordination
Avaya, a global provider of business communications and collaboration systems and services, today showcased new innovations in healthcare communications at the 2012 HIMSS Conference and Exhibition in Las Vegas, NV. Demonstrated at the Avaya booth (#5345), these products and solutions include advancements in mobility, social media and videoconferencing that help improve patient experiences through better care coordination, streamlined access to healthcare professionals, and faster patient response times.
The latest innovations are part of Avaya Healthcare Solutions, which improve collaborative communications in healthcare environments by addressing the entire lifecycle of a patient -- from pre-admission preparedness to delivery of care during treatment to post-discharge care and follow-up. At the show, Avaya is demonstrating solutions in three key areas: Care Coordination, Patient Interaction and Telehealth/Home-Care Delivery.
Avaya Mobile Collaboration Improves Care Coordination
Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets help clinicians and nurses drive care coordination while on the move. At the event, Avaya spotlights and demonstrates the company's mobile collaboration products and solutions to support healthcare delivery and coordination, including the following:
- Avaya Mobile Activity Assistant is a forthcoming product that helps healthcare staff improve workflow through secure 'closed-loop' HIPAA-compliant communications. It prioritizes and consolidates nurse call alerts, critical result notifications, stat requests, and co-worker messages onto one application on a mobile touchscreen device to help simplify hospital collaboration. Initial availability will be for iOS mobile platform devices, including iPhones. Mobile Activity Assistant also lets users see co-worker availability via presence, and contact them via voice or text. Co-workers can respond to text messages by touching the message and launching a phone call. Additionally, pre-configured text messages can be used to speed responses. All messages are logged for audit purposes.
- Avaya Flare® Communicator for iPad for the healthcare industry is a tablet application for secure, next-generation unified communications over Wi-fi and 3G networks. Presence enhances collaboration amongst healthcare professionals by indentifying the availability of specialists, clinicians and doctors. With the tap of a finger, users can initiate instant messages, emails, calls and conferences to get to the right resource. Having Flare Communicator for iPad on the same tablet with other business applications drives the sharing of important data such as X-rays and lab results. Visit here for information on Avaya Flare Communicator for iPad.
Avaya's healthcare mobility solutions increase security through its relationship with MobileIron, a new Avaya DevConnect Technology Partner. With MobileIron, healthcare IT organizations can support multiple operating systems, secure enterprise data on corporate and employee devices, and build mobile apps using MobileIron's Enterprise App Storefront.
Social Media Drives Patient Interaction; Video Enhances Home-Care/Telehealth
Other Avaya solutions introduced and demonstrated to the healthcare industry at HIMSS 2012 focus on how social media can be used to improve patient interaction and video communications can enhance the home-care experience. They include:
- Avaya Social Media Manager helps healthcare professionals use social media to meet new patients and communicate with existing ones in a personalized way. Social media posts are monitored, and experts can respond to patients using personalized interactions. Healthcare institutions can use it to drive better connections with prospective patients and refer them to publicly available resources, pre or post-treatment. This enhances patient experiences, while helping organizations build brand recognition via social media. Avaya will demonstrate how Social Media Manager analyzes thousands of social media messages, identifies priority opportunities, and assigns messages to the right clinician for quick responses.
- Avaya's Telehealth and Home-Care Delivery solutions use video communications to enable home care nurses and rural hospital workers to gain fast access to specialists and physicians located anywhere using video. At HIMSS, Avaya will show how caregivers and individuals receiving care at home can interact with a physician by simply selecting a link from an e-mail and initiating a videoconference. Additional telehealth demonstrations from Avaya DevConnect Technology Partner GlobalMed, a leading telemedicine company, will show video collaboration between GlobalMed Telemedicine Carts and Avaya video solutions.
Parkview Health, northwest Indiana's largest healthcare provider, is using Avaya Mobile Activity Assistant on 60 iPhones, with plans to expand to 670 iPhones by March 2012.
"Avaya Mobile Activity Assistant accelerates our communications, and ultimately improves patient satisfaction. By giving our nurses a way to consolidate all of their alerts in one device -- and display them in an organized and prioritized way -- they can attend to critical issues first, and then communicate directly with patients if necessary. This is a vast leap ahead of the days when most communications were handled via the nurse station, slowing things down. Now, Avaya mobility gives us fast, direct and simplified collaboration amongst all healthcare personnel -- from nurses to therapists to physicians -- which delivers productivity and cost-saving benefits. This includes reducing a patient's length-of-stay, since coordination and administration is streamlined. Simply put, this makes patients happier and saves us money."
--Paul Jones, director of technology services, Parkview Health, Inc.
"Avaya is focused on helping healthcare providers use communications solutions to improve patient experiences and outcomes, while reducing the cost of care. Our continuous concentration on customer needs was recently validated with a Value Enhancement Award from Frost and Sullivan for Avaya's UC solutions in healthcare." (see separate press release here).
--Sanjeev Gupta, general manager Avaya Healthcare Solutions.
Mobility in healthcare:
- Frost & Sullivan calculates smartphone penetration among U.S. physicians ranges from 60 to 80 percent, compared to 40 percent for the general population.
- Mobile/cellular phones were the highest-used endpoints in healthcare organizations. 57 percent of healthcare participants indicate they allow staff to bring their own devices to work.(1)
Avaya is a global provider of business collaboration and communications solutions, providing unified communications, contact centers, networking and related services to companies of all sizes around the world. For more information please visit www.avaya.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release are forward-looking statements. These statements may be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "might," "plan," "potential," "predict," "should" or "will" or other similar terminology. We have based these forward-looking statements on our current expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections. While we believe these expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections are reasonable, such forward looking statements are only predictions and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control. These and other important factors may cause our actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. For a list and description of such risks and uncertainties, please refer to Avaya's filings with the SEC that are available at www.sec.gov. Avaya disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(1) Statistics from Frost and Sullivan report: Improving Patient Care with UC Technologies (9847-64) December 2011. Alaa Saayed, Senior Industry Analyst and ICT Team Leader, Unified Communications and Collaboration
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: avaya, himss, healthcare technology, healthcare IT, byod, mobility, unified communications , Home, Displays, Networking, Security, Communications, WiFi, Web, Smart Phone, Applications, Security, Video, Social Media, Applications, Shipping & Receiving, Security, Networking, Computer Technology, Internet, Business Issues, Administration, Administration, Mobile Devices, Smartphone, Security, Administration, Social Media, Internet Server Applications, E-mail, Pro AV, Display, Business, Business Communications, PDA/Smartphone, USA, Marketwire, Inc., , healthcare, Surgery, Physician, Nurse, Healthcare, Medical, Computer Science, Business, Other, Medical Professionals,