|Page (1) of 1 - 02/17/12||email article||print page|
Atlantis Computing and Trend Micro Launch First VMware View Reference Architecture That Drives Down the Cost of a Desktop to as Low as $172 With "Better Than PC" User Experience1,000 Desktop Deployment Blueprint Includes VMware View 5, View Persona, VMware ThinApp, Trend Micro Deep Security 8 and Atlantis ILIO (February 17, 2012)
LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 02/17/12 -- VMware Partner Exchange -- Atlantis Computing, the leader in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) storage and performance optimisation solutions and Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704) (TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, today announced the release of the first VMware View 5 reference architectures for 1,000 persistent and non-persistent virtual desktops. The groundbreaking new reference architectures were developed by Atlantis Computing and Trend Micro with guidance from VMware and is the first to incorporate the latest technology from VMware View 5 including vSphere 5, View persona, ThinApp and View Planner as well as Trend Micro Deep Security 8 to secure every desktop.
This reference architecture documents the blueprint for scaling from 300 desktops to tens of thousands of users with Atlantis ILIO to drive down the infrastructure cost per desktop to $172 for non-persistent desktops and $234 for persistent desktops while delivering a rich user experience that users can embrace. The impact is a dramatic reduction of up to 94 percent in the cost of storage for VDI and a major boost in performance of View desktops.
"Successful VDI deployments have one thing in common. They are able to achieve the right balance of cost, user experience and security that is needed to compete with a physical PC and win over the CFO, the security team and most importantly the end users," said Bernard Harguindeguy, CEO of Atlantis Computing. "Too often reference architectures are designed without consideration for cost or for critical security components like Anti-Virus to achieve better performance numbers. This reference architecture is unique because it documents exactly how to assemble the components, the cost of the infrastructure, and the performance of every application without having to bring in new hardware components to the architecture."
VMware View 5 with Atlantis ILIO storage and performance optimisation software enables customers to deploy virtual desktops at a lower cost, while at the same time boosting performance to new levels. Atlantis ILIO fundamentally changes the economics and performance characteristics of VMware View deployments by intelligently optimizing how the Windows operating system running on vSphere interacts with shared or local storage. Atlantis ILIO technologies include highly efficient processing within the vSphere hypervisor of both Windows NTFS storage IO traffic and inline deduplication of Windows images before they reach storage.
In the reference architecture, Trend Micro Deep Security 8 provides agentless security for virtual desktops without negatively impacting density or performance. The Deep Security virtual appliance integrates with vShield Endpoint APIs developed by VMware in collaboration with Trend Micro to offer the industry's first anti-malware solution designed specifically to protect the vSphere platform without requiring an agent in the virtual machine.
"Security is a critical component of any VDI deployment and yet it is often not included in reference architectures because of the impact on server density and performance," said Thomas J. Miller, President, Trend Micro US Commercial Operations. "This reference architecture showed that you can deliver the lowest possible infrastructure costs, an amazing user experience and leading edge security in a complete VDI solution that costs less, performs better and is more secure than a physical PC."
Reference Architecture Results
- Cost Per Desktop - With Atlantis ILIO, the total infrastructure cost per desktop including the servers, storage and Atlantis ILIO license was $172 for a non-persistent desktop with local disk storage and $234 per desktop for a persistent desktop with shared SAN/NAS storage. Atlantis ILIO reduced the cost per desktop of the SAN/NAS by 94 percent for persistent desktops.
- Performance - With Atlantis ILIO, the architecture was able to deliver an average response time of 0.5 (local disk) to 0.7 seconds (SAN/NAS) for common applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, IE, Windows Media Player, Firefox and more. Atlantis ILIO provided 300 IOPS per desktop which is approximately 2x what a desktop PC would provide.
- Deployment Time - The testing showed that Atlantis ILIO new Fast Cloning feature enabled VMware View to deploy 1,000 persistent desktops with full clones in only 11 hours -- instead of the 100 hours that it normally requires. This means that customers can deploy 1,000 virtual desktops 9 times faster in hours instead of 4+ days.
- Application Virtualisation - VMware ThinApp was used to provide reliable and flexible application access resulting in improved launch times and performance.
- Security - Trend Micro Deep Security 8 provided industry leading anti-malware protections including anti-virus, integrity monitoring, intrusion prevention, web application protection, application control and firewalls without impacting the number of desktops that were used per server or degrading performance. The Atlantis ILIO virtual appliance worked alongside the Deep Security virtual appliance to handle IO storms and increase the performance of all desktops using Deep Security.
To read the full reference architecture "VMware View, Atlantis ILIO and Trend Micro Reference Architecture", visit bit.ly/vmwareatlantistrend
Tweet This: @VMware @AtlantisILIO @TrendMicro View 5 Architecture - Cost per Desktop of $172-$234, 1000 full clones 1TB storage bit.ly/xsmATg
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704) (TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro Smart Protection Network cloud security infrastructure, our products and services stop threats where they emerge -- from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
About Atlantis Computing
Atlantis Computing is transforming enterprise desktop computing by making virtual desktops more affordable, reducing implementation risks and addressing key barriers to market adoption: storage costs and user acceptance. Atlantis Computing software complements Citrix and VMware solutions by reducing the amount of storage needed, enabling the use of less expensive storage, and boosting performances of desktop and mobile devices. Atlantis Computing is headquartered in Mountain View, California.
Atlantis Computing, Atlantis ILIO and Atlantis ILIO Diskless VDI are trademarks of Atlantis Computing, Inc. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Ventana Public Relations for Atlantis Computing
Follow Atlantis Computing on Twitter: @AtlantisILIO
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Atlantis Computing, Applications,Public Relations,Storage,Security,Internet,Business Issues,Hardware,Services,Software,Misc,Security,Threats,Architecture,Security,Internet Server Applications,Web Servers,Public Relations,Management,CEO/CFO,Marketwire, Inc., ,Internet Technology,Internet,Other,