|Page (1) of 1 - 06/23/03||email article||print page|
Apple Previews Mac OS X 10.3 PantherNew operating system gains 100 new features
According to Apple, the new Mac OS offers more than 100 new features. These include a brand new Finder, which Apple calls "user-centric." It offers a new look with , as well as labels and faster searching. It also includes a new feature called Expose, which offers enhanced window management, with the ability to show all windows for a given application with the click of a button and the ability to hide all windows with the click of button in order to reveal the entire desktop.
Other new features include:
- A new QuickTime codec called Pixlet, developed in conjunction with Pixar, which includes support for 48 bits per channel source data;
- Built-in fax capabilities;
- Improved Mail application with enhanced viewing and organization;
- Faster user switching;
- File Vault, a feature that encrypts and decrypts files going into and out of the home directory;
- iChat AV, a new audio and video chat feature for use with FireWire-based cameras;
- For users of the .Mac service, iDisk is now cached locally;
- Faster PDF rendering in Preview with conversion from PostScript to PDF on the fly;
- Font Book font management;
- Various enhancements to UNIX-based technologies, including X11 for Mac OS X, performance improvements to NFS, a ports manager for accessing open source projects, expanded Kerberos support, an integrated IPv6 networking stack and the ability to access Quartz graphics from Python programs.
Mac OS X 10.3 is expected to be available by the end of the year for $129, with developer releases available now. For more information, visit http://www.apple.com.
Contact the author: Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Mac OS, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related Keywords:Apple Previews Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved