|Page (1) of 1 - 06/03/04||email article||print page|
Alias SketchBook Pro Now Available for Mac OS XMakes digital sketching accessible to more creative professionals. (June 03, 2004)
Alias, a Silicon Graphics, Inc. company, today announced that its pen-driven sketching and annotation software, Alias SketchBook Pro, is now available for Mac OS X. The Mac community can now benefit from the fast, reactive, pressure sensitive artistic tools and intuitive user interface that make the software unique in its class. Along with a Wacom tablet, Alias SketchBook Pro's realistic pens, markers, paintbrushes and airbrushes can be used to create everything from conceptual ideation sketches through to production artwork.
"Since Alias SketchBook Pro was released in late 2002, we have had numerous requests from the Mac community to release a version for the Mac platform," says Colin Smith, product manager, Alias. "The extraordinary toolset consisting of Alias SketchBook Pro, Mac OS X and a Wacom tablet will empower designers, animators, illustrators and other creative professionals to quickly and easily draw, sketch, paint and visualize their concepts."
"The stunning Aqua user interface, the powerful 2D and 3D graphics engine and the reliability of Mac OS X allow for a seamless and rich user experience making it the platform of choice for creative professionals," says Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "By taking advantage of the performance and strong graphic capabilities of Mac OS X, Alias SketchBook Pro eliminates the need for scanning and retouching drawings and enables Mac users to complete more work in less time."
Alias Responds to Customer Demand
In addition to its compatibility with the Mac platform, new features in Alias SketchBook Pro version 1.1 include the introduction of 26 hotkeys, a new single layer copy tool, a redesigned brush editor that enables easier creation of custom brushes and an enhanced user interface designed to increase overall usability. These features are available in both the Mac and Windows versions of Alias SketchBook Pro.
"Alias' responsiveness to its customers' needs has resulted in an incredibly natural and intuitive digital sketching tool for creative professionals," says Scott Rawlings, vice president of marketing, Wacom Technology. "Not only has Alias met the demand for a Mac version of Alias SketchBook Pro, it has also introduced functionality upgrades - such as the addition of numerous hotkeys for common tasks - to make the software even more efficient and user-friendly for all Wacom users."
Alias SketchBook Pro Increases Productivity with Easy-to-Use Functionality
Some of the key features in Alias SketchBook Pro include:
* Intuitive, pen-driven UI: Tried and tested interface, designed specifically for the pen-based tablet provides maximum drawing space. Marking Menus(tm) software allows remarkably fast access to key tools such as colors, brushes, zoom and pan.
* Production quality drawing tools: Realistic, high quality and responsive pencils, pens, markers, brushes and airbrushes come in a full range of colors. Create and save custom brushes, erasers, airbrushes or smear brushes, varying their size, transparency, roundness, slant and stamp spacing.
* Layers: Control editing by writing over images without damaging them, to compare or explore variations, or to build up complex drawings. Layers are preserved in the industry standard TIF file format.
* Screen Capture: One-button screen capture allows users to quickly take a snapshot of any application screen and open it in Alias SketchBook Pro for instant annotation.
* E-mail integration: After marking up an image, screen capture or document, annotations can be e-mailed back and forth with colleagues directly from Alias SketchBook Pro.
* Sketch management and presentation: Create collections of sketches that can be viewed, organized and distributed easily. Deliver impromptu and formal presentations of sketches and images, and then record any feedback instantly on annotation layers.
Pricing and Availability
Alias SketchBook Pro 1.1 for Mac OS X is available for download at www.alias.com/sketchbookpro for $179.00 USD*. A CD-ROM version of the software will be available for purchase for $199.00 USD* starting July 2004. Alias SketchBook Pro 1.1 is a free upgrade to current 1.0 Windows customers.
*International pricing may vary.
As the world's leading innovator of 3D graphics technology, Alias develops software for the film and video, games, web, interactive media, industrial design, automotive, architecture and visualization markets. Launched in the fall of 2002, Alias SketchBook Pro is the company's first consumer level product. In April 2004 Alias SketchBook Pro received Tablet PC Awards for both Best Overall Software and Best Graphics/Multimedia Software. The software is bundled with hardware from leading original equipment manufacturers (OEM's) Acer, Electrovaya, Motion Computing, NEC Solutions America, Toshiba and ViewSonic. Alias SketchBook Pro customers include: Brooks Stevens Design, Buell Motorcycle Company, General Motors, GE Medical Systems, Motorola and Research in Motion (RIM).
Alias is a wholly-owned, independent software company of SGI with headquarters in Toronto and a custom development center in Santa Barbara. Please visit the Alias web site at http://www.alias.com or call 1-800-447-2542 in North America. International contact numbers include: Northern Europe, Middle East and Africa, +44 (0) 1494 441273; Germany, East & Southeast Europe, 0049 89 31 70 20; France, Spain and Portugal, +33 1 44 92 81 60; Italy, 39 039 6340011; Japan and other parts of Asia Pacific, 81 3 5797 3500; and Latin America, 770 393 1881.
Related Keywords:Alias, SketchBook Pro, Silicon Graphics, Wacom, Colin Smith, Ron Okamoto, Scott Rawlings,