|Page (1) of 1 - 06/19/12||email article||print page|
Airbnb Celebrates Record Growth With 10 Million Guest Nights Booked(June 19, 2012)
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 06/19/12 -- Airbnb, the world's leading marketplace to list, discover and book unique accommodations, announced today a milestone of 10 million guest nights booked on the site. This time last year, the company had one office in San Francisco and had yet to reach 2 million guest nights booked. In winter 2012, Airbnb reached the 5 million nights booked threshold and expanded to 10 offices around the globe. Now, only five months after reaching 5 million, Airbnb has reached 10 million guest nights booked, effectively doubling in size and cementing its status as the market leader worldwide.
"At Airbnb, we use the power of the web to bring people together in the real world," said Brian Chesky, CEO and co-founder of Airbnb. "And 10 million nights booked means that Airbnb is bringing people around the globe together like nobody has before. Years from now we'll look back on this as a key milestone in the development of the global sharing economy, which is creating new opportunities for people in every corner of the world."
Every day, the Airbnb community is setting new records in bookings and listings. This growth means that more and more Airbnb hosts in the U.S. are connecting to the sharing economy, renting out their extra space to make income that improves their life. Eric Mathiasen, who rents a room in Chicago, uses his Airbnb income to pay for graduate school. "The income I make on Airbnb has wildly exceeded my expectations. I'm able to pay for tuition, save up money for my move to Boston, and spend some of it on treats, like a new bike I use to commute to work."
In addition to 10 million nights booked, more highlights of the company's growth include:
- Airbnb now also lists over 200,000 active, bookable properties worldwide.
- In response to incredible global demand, in January the company opened offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Copenhagen, and Moscow, and the company now boasts over 95,000 listings in Europe alone.
- Airbnb also opened its South American hub in São Paulo in April, and now lists nearly 20,000 properties across Central and South America.
- In the U.S. specifically, 4.4 million nights have been booked, an increase of 300% from this time last year.
- Demand for Airbnb accommodations in the U.S. has increased 240% in the last year.
Airbnb has grown at an unprecedented velocity:
- In 2008, once per day, a night of travel was booked on Airbnb.
- In 2009, every five minutes a night of travel was booked on Airbnb.
- In 2010, every minute a night of travel was booked on Airbnb.
- In 2011, every 10 seconds a night of travel was booked on Airbnb.
- And now, in 2012, every two seconds a night of travel is booked on Airbnb. In the time it took you to read this, someone booked a week's vacation on Airbnb.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world -- online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 19,000 cities and 192 countries. And with world-class customer service and a growing community of users, Airbnb is the easiest way for people to monetize their extra space and showcase it to an audience of millions.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Airbnb, USA, Marketwire, Communications Technology, Internet Technology,