|Page (1) of 1 - 05/14/08||email article||print page|
Ableton Live 7: Time to Control Your BeatsTempo Control - A DJ's secret weapon
Live 7 LE is built on the same fundamental concepts as Ableton Live, the music production and performance solution that has won numerous awards for its innovative workflow and refreshing simplicity. Offering most of Ableton Live 7's new features, the LE version makes music-making fast, easy and fun.
This, of course, allows you to first of all "Nudge tempo", which for some user's (primarily DJs) will help you with your mixes. If you're mixing tracks from Live 7 with another source you can "nudge" the tempo up or down, just like putting your finger on the vinyl and speeding it up/slowing it down to align it with the next mix. Here is an example holding nudge up, nudge down then letting the track play.
Sure everybody has tap tempo now, but unlike everyone else Live 7 makes it easy. I've been using this feature a lot while playing with other musicians, and the beauty is I can use it in various time signatures, here is my real world example. I have a track in 5/4 and it begins with the guitar only. My sequence is set to 5/4, but my guitarist doesn't like to play to a click and varies the tempo every time he plays it. Live 7 solves this. All I need to do is assign the TAP button to a midi controller and tap 5 times to my guitarist's rhythm (because the sequence is in 5/4) and the sequence begins, in time, no problems - don't worry about the time signature.
Midi Map Tempo
This one is great for live performances too. You can assign the a midi controller to raise/lower the overall tempo, this has a lot of practical purposes. One way I would use this is as a great show opener or closer. Imagine starting a set off with your sequence at a minimal bpm and raising it to your goal tempo or closing a set by bring your uptempo sequence down to a very slow speed. The tempo ranges from 20-999 beats per minute! You can also assign a second midi controller to a finite adjustment of the tempo (the digits to the right of the decimal) allowing you to raise or lower just a few bpm's using an entire midi fader or rotary knob - great control.
Ableton Live 7 LE gives you an intuitive interface and pro features for recording, songwriting, remixing and DJing. It includes:
- Studio-quality recording up to 32-bit/192 kHz*
- Sixty-four audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks per project
- Powerful and creative MIDI sequencing for software instruments
- More than twenty built-in audio effects, including a host of creative delays, filters, distortions, studio compressors and EQs*
- Two software instruments-Simpler for creative sample-based synthesis, and Impulse for dynamic, sampled drums*
- VST and AU effects and instruments support; automatic plug-in delay compensation*
- Real-time time-stretching and warping of AIFF, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC and MP3 files for DJing and instant remixing
- Real-time tweaking of Live's controls with any MIDI controller-just MIDI-map it or choose from a list of popular supported controllers for instant mapping
- Single-screen user interface for simple, creativity-focused operation
- Multicore and multiprocessor support
- Live 7 LE has everything you need to start making music, including:
- Sampled instruments: Essential Instrument Collection 2 LE Edition by SONiVOX and ChocolateAudio (boxed version only)
- Loops and construction kits by Puremagnetik (boxed version only)
- A wide selection of presets for Live LE's instruments and effects
- Extensive built-in step-by-step tutorials
- Printed reference manual in English
- Localized software menus, tutorials and PDF reference manuals available in English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese
For more articles like these, be sure to subscribe to RENDERS
A free online reminder of all of the top tutorials and stories.
Related Keywords:tutorial, product review, timing, nudge tempo, final cut pro, samples bpm, bfd, trance music, mp3, slicing, free samples, ableton, live 7, live music editing, music scoring
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved