|Page (1) of 1 - 01/05/12||email article||print page|
2011 Christmas Gifts Give IT Managers a New Year Headache -- Zenprise Has the SolutionBumper Year for Gifted Tablets and Smartphones Putting Pressure on Businesses to Accommodate (January 05, 2012)
REDWOOD CITY, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/05/12 -- The turkey has been consumed, the Christmas presents opened and the New Year has begun. For IT managers, the New Year may bring a new headache as they return to the office -- getting a handle on all the new smartphones and tablets that employees received as holiday gifts and now want to use for work. Zenprise®, Inc., the leader in secure mobile device management (MDM), has just the cure -- guidelines and a BYOD Tool Kit to help enterprises manage the unprecedented flood of gifted smartphones and tablets now in offices and workplaces across the globe.
Research published this week revealed that a massive 20 million new devices were activated over the festive period with a staggering 6.8 million first connected on Christmas Day. And since 67% of workers* use at least one of their own devices for work purposes, there's no doubt that many of these will enter the workplace environment, proudly adorning their owners' desks but causing potential nightmares for the IT department.
As a result the workplace will no doubt be rife with employees expecting to access company email and applications on their new devices. And the IT department will be expected to take responsibility for setting them up, becoming either the "bad guy" if it gets blocked, or the hero if they find an easy way to manage it.
Ahmed Datoo, CMO for Zenprise, sums up the challenge: "The ability to do more work on a mobile device, whether it is a smartphone or tablet, is a great benefit for both employees and companies. Using one mobile device for both work and personal business can open the door for great productivity improvements if the device is appropriately managed and secured."
To help IT managers manage this onslaught of employee-owned smartphones and tablets, Zenprise provides guidelines and a BYOD Tool Kit for protecting the mobile enterprise.
Zenprise Guidelines for Protecting the Mobile Enterprise
Truly protecting mobile enterprises requires an end-to-end mobile security strategy. Device security is no longer enough. Security threats can occur at the network, application and data layers. The following guidelines should help CIOs and IT administrators embrace enterprise mobility in a way that keeps their company secure and compliant:
- Discover rogue devices
- Define and communicate the company mobile strategy, including which users and devices will be supported, and which applications will be mobilized
- Get all mobile devices under management
- Set configuration and security policies in a role and policy based manner, according to corporate and regulatory policies and security use cases
- Monitor for mobile threats, potential data leakage and compliance violations
- Identify sensitive corporate data and lock it down with mobile DLP policies and controls
Zenprise BYOD Tool Kit
The BYOD Tool Kit from Zenprise includes:
- Zenprise Rogue Mobile Devices Assessment. A no-cost, no-install assessment to identify unmanaged mobile devices on your corporate network
- Zenprise Enterprise Mobility Executive Checklist. A checklist for technical and non-technical executives to help them guide their organizations to successfully roll out a BYOD program
- Zenprise Security Framework and Whitepaper. A whitepaper that offers enterprise mobility professionals a framework for ensuring mobile security, as well as a "top 10" requirements list for mobile security evaluators
- Zenprise BYOD Service. A Zenprise post-sale professional services engagement to help customers plan, design, and implement a BYOD program that is tailored to their needs and requirements
To learn more about protecting the mobile enterprise, Zenprise has posted a webinar on the company's website entitled "Mobile Device Management is No Longer Enough." The webinar is hosted by mobile industry expert Jack L. Gold, president of J. Gold Associates. During the webinar, Gold addresses:
- The emerging risks of mobile enterprise access and the mobile end-user threat
- Why traditional MDM is outdated and why Mobile Diversity Management is imperative
- Why enforcing mobile data protection and data leakage prevention is mandatory
- How visibility, alerting, reporting, and forensic analysis are foundational to securing mobile assets
- How companies can meet mobile compliance auditing and reporting requirements
*Mitel Freedom Survey, Aug 2011
About Zenprise, Inc.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Zenprise is the leader in secure mobile device management. Only Zenprise protects all layers of the mobile enterprise, keeping organizations secure and compliant. Zenprise MobileManager and Zencloud let IT say "yes" to mobile device choice while safeguarding sensitive corporate data, shielding the network from mobile threats, and maintaining compliance with regulatory and corporate policies. This gives IT peace of mind, lets executives take their businesses mobile, and makes employees productive while on the go.
Zenprise's extensive list of global customers and partners spans a cross-section of countries and vertical industries including: aerospace and defense, financial services, healthcare, oil and gas, legal, telecommunications, retail, entertainment, and federal, state and local governments.
© 2012 Zenprise, Inc. All rights reserved. Zenprise is a registered trademark, and Zenprise MobileManager and Zencloud are trademarks of Zenprise, Inc. All third-party trademarks, trade names, or service marks may be claimed as the property of their respective owners.
+1 650 395 6957
Cristina Thai or Allison Zigulis
North of Nine Communications
+1 415 268 4800
Max Tatton-Brown or Andrea Berghäll
+44 208 408 8000
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: mobile device manangement, mobile security, Communications, Smart Phone, Applications, Security, Internet, Business Issues, Threats, Security, Internet Server Applications, E-mail, Management, IT Managers, CMO, Business, PDA/Smartphone, email, Marketwire, Inc., , Financial, Gold, Business, Entertainment, Email,