|Page (1) of 1 - 06/12/12||email article||print page|
10 Things to Know for Tuesday10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (times EDT):
1. ARIZONA TO HOLD SPECIAL ELECTION TO REPLACE GIFFORDS
Democrats are hoping to keep former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords House seat while voters in Virginia, Maine, Nevada, North Dakota and South Carolina are taking part in primary elections.
2. AUSTRALIAN CORNONER AGREES DINGO TOOK BABY IN 1980 CASE
Australians have overwhelmingly welcomed the final chapter of a mystery that has captivated the nation for 32 years.
3. ANALYSIS: VATICAN DISPUTE WITH US NUNS BEGAN DECADES AGO
American nuns will meet with Vatican officials to plead their case in decades-old disputes over Roman Catholic teaching.
4. CHAVEZ MAKES ENERGETIC START IN RE-ELECTION BID
President Hugo Chavez offered a preview of a campaign in which he is likely to push his limits trying to show Venezuelans he is emerging from cancer's shadow.
5. JURORS TO HEAR CLOSING ARGUMENTS IN CLEMENS CASE
The jury is finally getting to hear closing arguments in the Roger Clemens perjury trial and they are expected to begin deliberations later in the day.
6. FRACTURED GANGS BLAMED FOR CHICAGO HOMICIDE SURGE
A splintering of drug gangs into rival factions, high unemployment in poorer neighborhoods and even an unusually warm winter are among the possible causes police cite for a jump in the number of homicides.
7. WILDFIRES IN COLO., NEW MEXICO BURN OUT OF CONTROL
The U.S. Forest Service said it would add more aircraft to its aerial firefighting fleet to try to contain a fire that destroyed at least 118 structures.
8. THOUSANDS SHOW UP AT ANTI-PUTIN PROTEST IN MOSCOW
Thousands of Russians are gathering for the first massive protest against President Vladimir Putin's rule since his inauguration.
9. NEW INTERNET SUFFIX BIDS INCLUDE '.LOL,' '.DOCTOR'
Some 2,000 proposals have been submitted as part of the largest expansion of the Internet address system since its creation in the 1980s.
10. KINGS BEAT DEVILS 6-1, CLAIM FIRST STANLEY CUP
After missing two chances to claim the title last week, the long-suffering Kings are NHL champions for the first time.
Related Keywords:10 Things to Know-Tuesday,Government and politics